Louisa Harding Marmo - wash cloths?

I bought some in the Marco Polo colour way, but it wasn’t going to work for the pattern I had in mind. I was wondering if it was still suitable for wash cloths - I bought a few bars of artisan soaps for Christmas gifts and wanted to make cloths to go with them, and this yarn would go very nicely with at least one of the soaps. It’s a 50/50 cotton/acrylic mix.

Probably @Jan_in_CA can help out here and all the other wash cloth makers. Sounds like a nice idea for a gift.

1 Like

Thanks, salmonmac, hopefully someone can confirm (or deny!) if this yarn is ok. It’s the acrylic I’m not so sure about.

Yes, I mostly see recommendations for all cotton but I’m sure there are others with more experience.

1 Like

I used a cotton/acrylic for a knitted kitchen cloth but it stretched way too much widthwise when wet. Light-weight cotton and cotton/linen are my preferred yarns for cloths. I also found that crochet seems to give a more stable structure, so much so that I taught myself to do some simple crochet.

Also be mindful that these cloths can be heavy when wet, hard to wring out and sometimes don’t dry out quick enough. It helps to choose a pattern with a somewhat open weave.

2 Likes

Thanks, Callye. Looks like it would be better to save it for something else then.

I have not used a blend like that for wash cloths. I would think they would’t be as absorbant. I always use 100% cotton. I really like Tahki Cotton Classic because they hold their color very well. Some say that mercerized cotton isn’t as absorbent, but I didn’t have a problem.
https://www.ravelry.com/yarns/library/tahki-yarns-cotton-classic

2 Likes

Thanks very much, Jan! I do agree with you on the mercerised cotton - I made my sister in law some mercerised cotton cloths a few years ago and she said they worked well. Just need a little breaking in!

1 Like