Lost Stitches

Lost Stitches

Cast on 114 sts.
1st row - S.1. knit to end of row
repeat the 1st row onece
3rd row Sl.1 *k2, wlfwd, k1, (p2, k2 tog) twice, p2, k1, (wlfwd) twice, repeat from * to the last St., k1
4th row Sl1 *k1, k1tbl, p1, k2 (p2 tog) twice, (k2,p1) twice, repeat from * to last st. k1
5th row Sl1 *(wlfwd) twice, (k1 p2) twice k2 tog, p2, k1, (wlfwd) twice, k2, repeat from * to last st. K1
6th row Sl1 *p1, k2, k1tbl, p1, k2 (p2 tog) twice, k2, p1, k1, k1tbl, repeat from * to last st. k1
Repeat from the 3ed to the 6th row (inclusive) 3 times
Proceed in st. st. until the work measure 4 1/2 inches from the commencement, ending on the right side of the work
Next row Sl.1, p7 (p2 tog, p1) 14 times, (p2 tog) 7 times (p1, p2 tog) 14 times, p7, k1 (79 sts)

My problem is that once i finish doing the 3-6 row 4 times total i have 98 sts ( truthfully i have done this more than a dozen times and i keep ending up with different numbers) in order to do the next row (after the 4 1/2 inches) i need to have 114 sts. does anyone know if i am doing this wrong or if it’s the pattern? any suggestions on how i can get this right? my stress release is getting to be very stressful.

I think that i am losing sts. Does anyone have any advice on how to not loose sts?

Legginette? What is that?:??

My pattern is a REALLY old one (older than me :slight_smile: ) and is from the UK. a legginette is like tights for want of a better word. Legs with feet attached to them.

It looks like you start a new strand of yarn and knit those 20 that are on your right needle, Then you pick up 16 stitches along the right side of the flap you made with the 14 stitches; knit across the 14 stitches, pick up 16 down the left side of it and then knit the 5 from the safety pin.

. _
l l___ start here

thank you. Is it possible to knit stiched from the right needle? or do I slip the 20 stiches on the right needle onto the left to start? the pattern says with RS facing forward if i simply switch the right needle to my left hand it makes the WS facing me.

You can slip them to another needle so the point is in the right place if that’s the problem.

You do need to start a new strand, so if you have a point at the left end, you can knit off of that.

Do i slip the 20 stiches from the right needle to the left needle with the 14 stitches? this would make it work when they say knit across the 14 stitches

after reading the pattern again and again i think i messed up somewhere and when i finished the sixteen rows of St st all of my sts should have been on the same needle. if i slip them over will it still work properly?

However you get them on the needle, you need to knit those 20, THEN, before you knit the 14, you have to pick up 16 stitches up along the right edge of the flap where the 14 are on top.

It doesn’t really matter how the 20 are, as long as they’re on a needle with the tip in the left hand. You could even just put them on a dpn and knit them off of there.

Cast on 114 sts.
1st row - S.1. knit to end of row
repeat the 1st row onece
3rd row Sl.1 *k2, wlfwd, k1, (p2, k2 tog) twice, p2, k1, (wlfwd) twice, repeat from * to the last St., k1
4th row Sl1 *k1, k1tbl, p1, k2 (p2 tog) twice, (k2,p1) twice, repeat from * to last st. k1
5th row Sl1 *(wlfwd) twice, (k1 p2) twice k2 tog, p2, k1, (wlfwd) twice, k2, repeat from * to last st. K1
6th row Sl1 *p1, k2, k1tbl, p1, k2 (p2 tog) twice, k2, p1, k1, k1tbl, repeat from * to last st. k1
Repeat from the 3ed to the 6th row (inclusive) 3 times
Proceed in st. st. until the work measure 4 1/2 inches from the commencement, ending on the right side of the work
Next row Sl.1, p7 (p2 tog, p1) 14 times, (p2 tog) 7 times (p1, p2 tog) 14 times, p7, k1 (79 sts)

My problem is that once i finish doing the 3-6 row 4 times total i have 98 sts ( truthfully i have done this more than a dozen times and i keep ending up with different numbers) in order to do the next row (after the 4 1/2 inches) i need to have 114 sts. does anyone know if i am doing this wrong or if it’s the pattern? any suggestions on how i can get this right? my stress release is getting to be very stressful.

Are you doing all the YOs (wlfwd)? The 3rd and 5th rows have 2 yos together, make sure one isn’t slipping off the needle when you come to it on the next row. And did you have 114 sts to start with…?

Double yo’s can be tricky, the second one often looks like the part of the stitch you need to slide off.

I don’t think the pattern is wrong, since on the final row you bind off 35 stitches and should be left with 79.

It does appear, at a quick glance, that your stitch numbers do change on each row, though.

I didn’t notice that the stitch numbers change… After the even numbered rows you should have 114 sts, but there would actually be more after the odd numbered rows.

I have been doing all of the yarn forwards, and the knit/pearl two together, and i have 114 sts when i start.

3rd row every time i repeat the pattern i add one st.
4th row every time i repeat the pattern i loose 2 sts
5th row every time i repeat the pattern i add three sts
6th row every time i repeat the pattern i loose 2 sts

you’d think that i would end up with the same amount of stiches at the end but i don’t. I have tried to use stich markers between each repeat of the pattern and i still loose them somewhere.

Last night i thought i had it, when i finished doing the first 3-6th rows i had 114 at the end but when i did the next set of 3-6th rows i had 109 sts.

this is sooooo frustrating.

I have figured it out - sort of. I finished off the set only two stiches short so i added them. Has been working well. Maybe when i finish all the pieces i will try again for the 20th time.