Lost a shell up the side of crochet blanket

I am crocheting a blanket with 5-DC shells, The first row started with 25 shells. I just realized that after about 4 rows, I only have 24 shells across. I can’t figure out where I went wrong and don’t want to rip out and start over. Is there any way I can add the extra shell along the rest of the part I have completed?
Thanks for your help!

Hi momjan, It seems to me that the most likely place is to loose a shell at the edges. See if you can count across random rows and find out where that occurred. If it’s so hidden that you have to count to find it, you can either add one at the same edge (or a spot similar to where the deletion occurred) or continue with 24 shells. I’d probably just continue on but make sure it didn’t happen again.

Thanks for your help. I counted shells and they started going wrong after 6
rows. Now I know that I mixed up the 2-row pattern repeat at the ends, rows
3 and 4 each had different beginnings and ends. When I started really
paying attention to that, my edges became straight. It still looks wonky
for rows 1-6, but I’m hoping a crochet edging will disguise it. Thank you
so much for reply! Have a great day.

salmonmac Mod Squad
October 29

Hi momjan, It seems to me that the most likely place is to loose a shell
at the edges. See if you can count across random rows and find out where
that occurred. If it’s so hidden that you have to count to find it, you can
either add one at the same edge (or a spot similar to where the deletion
occurred) or continue with 24 shells. I’d probably just continue on but
make sure it didn’t happen again.

Hi “salmonmac”,

Thanks for your help with the shells on my mermaid tail blanket. I finally figured out what I was doing wrong, and started being more careful with counting and marking stitches. I’m attaching a pic of the finished blanket.

Thanks again!

Jan

1 Like

That worked out beautifully! The colors remind me of Monet’s water lilies. Lovely work.

Thank you!!