Looseness in the round

I’ve learned how to knit socks and, like alot of us after they learn to knit socks, have become addicted. I have suddenly developed a problem of having loose stitches between the needles.

I know this is a common problem when knitting in the round and when I first started knitting in the round I didn’t have any problems keeping this from happening. Even if I make sure to tighten the yarn (to the point of having pulled hard enough to break the yarn) I have this:

I can’t figure out how to make it stop. It doesn’t matter what size DPN’s I’m using or how tight or loosely I knit, though I’m a pretty tight knitter.

Help! I want to try the Twinkle Toes socks by Cookie A. from Knitty Gritty but I won’t be able to stand frogging back after I’ve started just to et rid of those loose guys.

I usually knit all the stitches off one needle AND the first stitch on the next one before switching. Seems to help. :shrug: Sometimes I do even more than one. Just make sure to mark the beginning of your round, though, so you don’t lose it in all that shifting.

What do you mean ‘knit all the stitches off one needle AND the fist stitch’? meaning knit the stitch that is last on the needle, first on the nest and then maybe the one behind it before I even move them off the needle I’m on?

Knit all the stitches off a needle like usual, then go on to the next needle and knit the first couple stitches onto the one you’ve been using. Then start knitting with the empty needle and do the same thing. This shifts your work around so the same columns of stitches aren’t on the ends of the needles all the time. Also, the stitches will even out when you wash them at the end.

Yep! Sue’s better at explaining things than I am, sometimes. :slight_smile:

I always try to start the new needle with a knit stitch rather than a purl stitch. It seems to help.

Sometimes I explain better, maybe, but I often write in shortcuts and leave out half the words…

:teehee: Me, too. I think it makes perfect sense and then people are :whoosh:

No No, it made sense but I wanted to make sure of what you meant. Thank you! I hope that works because nothing else I’ve tried has yet.
Wouldn’t bother me so much if it had been a problem since the begining!