Loose stitches between ribbing

Hi. I’m new to this site and am excited about maybe getting some help. I’m just beyond beginner and am wanting to improve my techniques. I knit continental. Recently I finished a baby blanket in a simple k7 p7. I discovered to my dismay that my stitches are loose inbetween the k,p and tight between the p,k. I tried to pull the tension tighter when I do the last k and first p but it doesn’t seem to help. What do I need to do? I’ve been knitting for over a year. Do I still need to practice, practice, practice? I’m so frustrated.

There was just another post with almost this same question. Apparently, you use more yarn when you bring the yarn in front and wrap counter-clockwise to purl than you do normally. If you wrap the yarn clockwise on the first purl stitch it should tighten that stitch up. But the stitch will be twisted so you need to knit through the back loop when you go to knit this stitch on the next row.

I can’t find the previous post but it was within the past two weeks.
Hope that helps!

A couple of existing threads that might offer insight:

how do you knit rib evenly?
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=64282&highlight=loose+rib

tension problem with last knit stitch in ribbing
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=55709&highlight=ribbing

HTH,
cam

Thanks to you both. I’ve been making swatches trying to find the solution. I got to the wrap the first purl stitch in the opposite direction part but had no idea about the twisted stitch. Well, maybe one more swatch before bed. If I get it this time I’ll be able to sleep peacefully. :knitting:

It’s a very common occurence and generally, washing or blocking the piece evens out the stitches pretty well.

Well, I tried another swatch with wrapping the yarn clockwise on the first purl and k through the back loop on the opposite side BUT I still wasn’t satisfied. I stretched out my swatches and took a good look at the tension and thought maybe in trying to adjust the tension I was just causing more problems, maybe my other stitches were too tight. So, I attempted another time to k & p and pay close attention to the tension. When I had watched the video on continental style, I made note that Amy said not to remove the stitch until it was the full diameter of the needle. Even though I had to work at a crawl (aargh) I really think that my stitching looked better. I guess it does take practice, practice, practice. I really do want to be a good knitter, so, that’s what I’ll do.

It does take a lot of practice, which means a lot of knitting. Not such a bad thing… Also, it seems to help if you do loosen up your tension. That may seem backwards, but if the stitches are really tight, they’re going to pull more.