Loose stitch problem

I’m working up to a baby blanket. I am using size 9 circulars, and the yarn is Blue Sky organic cotton worsted weight. Right now I’m swatching/practicing, and the pattern “idea” I’m using in my swatch is the Big Bad Baby Blanket - seed stitch borders with patches of stockinette and reverse stockinette. When I switch from the stockinette stitch to the reverse stockinette, the last knit stitch and the first purl stitch are both very loose, and there’s a sort of gap between them. I’m trying to tighten up the first purl, but it’s still loose between them somehow.

I need some help figuring out where to start tightening or what I can do so there isn’t a gap between these 2 sections?

thanks!

Check out this thread

Thanks for your reply - I read that entire thread and don’t see anything that answers my question, unless I’m missing something? That thread is about accidentally adding stitches - I have not added any stitches. I have a section that is 20 stitches wide - 10 stitches of stockinette, and then 10 stitches of reverse stockinette. When I said “the last knit stitch and the first purl stitch” I meant stitch #10, the last one in the stockinette section, and stitch #11, the first one in the reverse stockinette section. The gap is in the very middle of the piece, not the edges.

When I switch from stitch #10 (knit) to stitch #11 (purl), it’s so loose between the 2 stitches that there’s a slight gap, and stitches 10 and 11 are very loose in every row. No extra stitches have been created - there are still exactly 20 stitches. I’m trying to figure out how to keep from having those 2 stitches (10 and 11) be so loose.

It’s just a practice swatch, so maybe if I start over and don’t let the first row be so loose at that point, the next rows won’t be loose either, but right now I don’t seem to be able to tighten up the distance between stitch 10 and 11 after having done about 16 rows. Sorry if that wasn’t clear. If that is addressed in the “extra stitches” thread, I didn’t find it.

Oh. Switching from knits to purls or purls to knits. Tighten up the last/first stitches on each section as you go from one to the other.

sue

thanks - I have been doing that for about 4 rows, but since the first 10 or so rows were loose at that point, I guess it affects every row above because I don’t seem to be able to get them tight enough to pull it back together. It’s just a practice swatch, so I’ll start over and tighten those stitches from the beginning.

thanks again!

Try this -say 10 is loose when you get to 9 pick up the yarn between 9and 8 and put it on the left needle knit the two together

thanks, I’ll try that!

I found the answer you’re looking for because I had the same issue 10 years later. This involves purling the first stitch after stockinette in the opposite direction, for a shorter yarn leg. Perfect! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w1WYivL0yN0

2 Likes