Loose between dpns

I’m trying to knit mittens with double pointed needles, but I’m having problems when I switch needles. There’s a line of looser sts that goes down my work between two needles (where I switch needles). I’ve tried pulling the yarn tight on the last st on one needle and the first st of the next needle, but it still ends up making a loose part. Any tips?

Hi and welcome to KH!

The loose stitches between needles are called “ladders” and are very normal for new knitters. Try tightening the [I]second[/I] stitch instead of or in addition to the first. You can also move a few stitches to the next needle after a few rows so you the join is not always in the same spot. I also find that the way I hold the needles helps a bit. Hope this helps!

it’s not working… it seems the first st on the left needle is not tight enough, or is picking up the slack from the last stitch on the right needle… either way, tightening the last stith on the right needle and the first two sts of the left needle don’t fix it…

It won’t fix previous stitches, but it should work pretty well on any new ones, but it might take a couple rows for it to look better. Did you try moving a few stitches on each needle?

no, I didn’t, I don’t really want to rely on that, because it’s going to mess up my counting when I work other things.

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=royalblue][B]You might want to watch the video on this site for ‘in the round’ knitting using two circulars or one long circulars ! [/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/
[FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=royalblue][B] Also called ‘magicloop’, using one long circular for sock knitting has TOTALLY eliminated my ‘tracks’…:woot:[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][/B]
[B][FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=royalblue][B]and I don’t miss them AT ALL ![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

i’m doing a project on dpns right now (my first true dpn one) and i found that having the last stitch on the needle be knit and the first a purl makes my ladders smaller. i frequently rearrange mine too, but in pattern sets so that i dont change my count.