Looking for Needle Advice

I hope this is the right place to post this, because I wasn’t really sure where it should go…

I am a new knitter and have been using only straight wooden needles so far. I started with a borrowed pair of bamboo ones, then bought myself a few rosewood pairs in a variety of sizes. They’re all beautiful, but I got them all on sale and I’ve noticed a tendency for imperfections. Specifically, I have two pairs which have a slightly bowed needle to begin with. This is not warping due to knitting, as they are new.

Now, I’m a bit OCD, so I have to pretend this doesn’t bother me lol. Mostly, though, I’m concerned about further warping with use because I don’t want to ruin my lovely needles.

My questions are: 1. Is it common for brand new wooden needles to be imperfect? And 2. Is there a type of straight needle which is unlikely to warp with use? I don’t think my knitting is overly tight, but it’s not exactly loose, either and I’d rather not have to worry too much about keeping my needles in good condition.

I really, really don’t want to use plastic, btw.

It’s not unheard of for the smaller wood needless to warp a bit, but I don’t think they should be when they are new. What size are they? What brand are they? Where did you get them?

Metal ones don’t seem to have any warping issues!

My first really warped pair is 14" Boye, size 8. The other one is 10" Colonial, size 7. My other two pairs aren’t badly warped, just not absolutely perfectly straight. I bought the Boye on Amazon and the Colonial on WEBS. I don’t really want to bother with returning any of them.

I’ve heard some people mention their aluminum needles warping, but I wouldn’t know, since I’ve never used them.

I have never ordered needles online. I have had my frequently used wood needles 9 and smaller warp slightly. Think mine are all Clover and Crystal Palace. They are still useable. I have metal ones of all sizes that have never warped. I now almost exclusively use metal needles b/c I don’t care for how wood needles can hold onto stitches.
If you don’t like warping avoid plastic ! Someone gave me some and they bend and flex when I look at them. Can’t bring myself to throw them away but I also don’t use them.

good luck

I don’t use straight needless at all so I’m not a good judge of how they behave, but it seems odd to me that that size needle would warp. I would avoid buying any brand that came warped again at least online where you can’t see them beforehand!

Thank you, both, for your insight. I’ve decided to invest in a few pairs of high quality metal needles as soon as I can afford them. I still really like my pretty rosewood needles, but I think I should have a few metal ones to go along with them.

Also, you might consider buying a circular needle, just to give it a try. Like Jan and many others, I started out on straight needles but once I found out how easy circulars were to work with, I switched over to them completely. Even for back and forth knitting, circulars are more compact and don’t frighten your seatmates on airlines. The added bonus is that you’re less likely to lose a needle.

I quite agree, circulars are very agreeable. Sometimes I use straights for cast ons which are easier to count for me on the straights. Especially the Italian cast on. It works better for me to work on row straight then go into circular knitting, when I weave in my tail, it completes the row perfectly. My favorite top down cast on for socks and mittens as it is so very stretchy.

Also use straights to cast on the crochet cast on when I need a provisional cast on. It makes a nice edge which matches slipped stitch edges for wash cloths or scarves, very pretty. I find that easier than picking up bumps on the backside of a crochet chain.

I I have to cast on 300, I tough it out and do it on circs.