Long tail or two ended cast on?

I am starting a new pattern for a felted hat and it begins by measuring out appr. 2 yards of yarn to ‘begin with a long tail (two ended) cast on’. I’m familiar with a long tail cast and am assuming that I just make sure that I end up with an extra long tail with which to continue working with further into the pattern. The wording ‘two ended’ in parenthesis is what confuses me. Is this any different than the normal long tail cast on?

It’s sometimes called a double CO because you use 2 strands of yarn, unlike the single cast ons like knitted or cable which use only one strand. So that may be what is meant - using 2 `ends’ or strands of yarn.

Yup Suzee is right–

get used to it.

Knit is the stitch, (noun)
Knit is the action (verb)
Knitting can be the finished object, or the process of making it.

“continue to knit (in pattern)” means continue to work (the stitches) using a knit stitch or a purl stitch

and then there is double knitting
a yarn weight
and 4 different processes for “working the stitches”

or “cast on” (which one? there are over 40 ways to cast on!)

or cast on names
Long tail
sling shot
2 yarn
double yarn

are all name for the same cast on!

(and with some long varitions it gets worse
Norwegian twist
german twist

are all the same cast on too!

even “simple” cast on has a list of names

so many knitting terms are ambiguous, (pick up stitches and pick up and knit mean the same thing!) or duplicated.
there are sometimes 1 term (double knit) that means 5 or more things–
and other times 5 terms for 1 thing.

Oh, and whole different sets of words are used in different parts of the english speaking world.

do you bind off? or cast off?
to you Yarn forward? or Yarn over?
make up? or finish?(sew together any seams that need to seamed)

Usually you can guess, and guess right… but don’t be surprized if sometimes you are surprised! (Oh, yeah, the brit spell things differently too!)