Local Fairs?

I went to my local county fair last night and spent a while looking at the knitting exhibition. Lots of very nice things, but looking at the blue ribbon winners, I couldn’t help thinking there was nothing I haven’t seen pictures of as good or better work here many, many times. I got to wondering if anyone here has entered? Won?

No but I’ve thought I might next year just for the fun of it! My daughter Sarah wants to enter next year for the kids’ division as well.

A friend of mine suggested that I should, but unless there was a huge cash prize, I don’t think I’d bother. I’d feel self-conscious having someone inspect my knitting closely.

I’m afraid I agree with Ingrid. What I knit is some sort of clothing and I don’t want unknowns touching it.
Nikki

I’ve not gone to our fair in several years, I’m hoping to go this year and have a look at everything, I think it will be very interesting.

Actually, I’m going to the one this year to inspect what is there. Then next year I’ll submit something. I know there’s a lot of homespun items. I’m not that good yet. I agree though, the actual knits don’t look anymore impressive than what I’ve seen here.

Nikki - at our fair, only the judges touch the work. Other than that, it’s displayed in cases.

Ingrid - But how can you say it’s not worth it! At our fair there’s a HUGE prize ----- $7 whole dollars for the first place afghan, and 5,4 or 3 for smaller items!!! :passedout: (me, knocked over by the overwhelming size of the prizes!)

I was half thinking about it, but now I’m not sure…

$7?? Well, if I’d known that, I’d have entered. :happydance:

No duh…aren’t you upset you didn’t go for the $7?! :roflhard: :rofl:

:verysad: I guess I’ll have to sell the farm, now.

My grandma always enters things in the fair.

The thing that really bothers me is that if she’s already given the item as a gift, she asks for it back to enter it in the fair.

It costs $7 just to get into the fair :slight_smile:

When I quit going to the State fair every year, then I noticed different things, but going every year as I did for 20 + years, things didn’t change much from year to year.

Think I should enter my washcloth - it should be figured out & done by next August :roflhard:

Our fair only costs $6 to get in - but if you enter 3 items, you get a free pass!