Little wild kitten

Hubby is driving home last night from Edison, NJ and he calls me to tell me that he thinks he hears a cat meowing when he turns the radio off. He stops and gets his hair cut and checks his car and nothing. He drives home which is about 15 miles more and we both check his car, engine compartment and inside, nothing. We go shopping and we are back by 8 pm. It then starts to storm, bad. Thunder and lightening for a couple of hours. Around 11, after it stops, I hear the kitten outside! Both hubby and I go out into the tick infested bushes and try to find him. Hubby almost got him, but he was too fast. We finally have to give up because hubby is catching a flight to Hong Kong this morning and we need some sleep. Then early this morning, like 5 am, hubby is up and looks outside (we left the driveway light on) and he sees the little black kitten go to his car and crawl back in! We both go to check the engine and he was sitting on the battery but was too fast again!:wall: I try to set up a little trap with my cat sized kennel and wet food with a llloooonnnnggg string (not yarn!) attached to the door with a umbrella to keep it dry and now I have to wait.

Urg, I just him climb a little tree! Then zoom off to the bushes…patience…patience…I hope I catch the little guy!:pray:

a true caring animal loving knitter… i’m amazed at the connection between our loving :heart: of our needle art & animals :star:

:blooby:

Poor little kitten! :pout: I hope you catch him!

I was just thinking the same thing this morning!!! it warms my :heart: to see so many people truly caring for needy animals.

Good luck catching the little one Figaro!!

I have to go walk my dogs… (a whole 'nother story!!)

Good luck! I hope you catch him, and thanks for trying. It’s amazing that he drove around in the car that long! :shock:

As long as you keep putting food out, he’ll stick around.

I talked to the local Humane Society and they gave me a live animal trap with a refundable deposit of $50. I just finished setting it up with a can of tuna in the last place I saw him.

My hubby who was not a animal person before wants me to catch him cause he figures if he survived that road trip, he deserves a chance! (I feel that way to but I am the life long animal lover here so no surprise!)

Aww too cute! I hope you catch the little thing, sounds like its a total battler to survive the journey and everything else!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkgreen]Poor little thing… hope you can catch it…[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#006400]And thank for trying…:hug:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I hope you’ll catch the little fellow…Would you keep him or find another home? When you catch him - post some pics… :cheering::cheering::cheering: for animal lovers!

Good luck–I hope you catch him soon!!

I had a friend who got a kitten in a similar way. She was at the store, then got on the interstate (70mph!) and went home. When she got there, the dogs were drawn to the car. She could hear the kitty, but couldn’t find him when she looked under the hood. He was in a hollow spot in the fender with some wires. They knew they had to keep him–and named him Lucky. :rofling:

I am not sure if we will keep him. He is a little wild one and I have done that, 21 years ago. But I also saw the amount of cats that they have at the Humane Society:shock:. There had to be at least 30-40 cats each in 2 large rooms. They did all seem to get along well with each other though, it was early morning and they were all out while their cages were cleaned. Soooo, IF we can catch the little bugger, I think I will try and get him to calm down some.

Aww I hope you get him! My kitten was originally a feral…he is soo sweet now…although the little beggar still won’t let my hold him, he flops down beside me whenever I’m on the couch.

Yes, two of my current cats were born in the wild… took a while but they became quite friendly… but of course on [I]their[/I] terms… mine also will sit with me, but no picking up or holding.

Just a quick note to say I ALMOST got the little bugger! He was so close but so little that he went through the undergrowth quite fast. I really wish I had a net of some kind, hmmm do I have all plastic hangers or is there a wire one somewhere?

edited to add: my husband’s work is 50 miles plus a little stop to get his haircut!

If you’re going to try to socialize him a bit, you might want to get some oven mitts or heavy gloves. A friend of mine who does rescue recommended the oven mitts when I had some semi-feral rescues, and it really helped. I was able to handle them (they were “teenage” kittens) w/o being bitten or scratched, and also was able to get them used to being handled. After a while, I didn’t need them at all to handle the kitties.

I’ve also used welding gloves to hold feral kitties. I grew up on a farm and my family still talks about how I could catch the wild kitties and other animals. Dad always said I could have it and keep it if I could catch it… :thumbsup:

I was thinking ([SIZE=1]don’t be scared[/SIZE])…can you leave your house door open? Maybe put the cage in the house with the food and see if he’ll wander in? He might be easier to catch that way.

DragonTush, I have a old cat that was also a feral kitten that would get out if I left the door open, that and our dog so we can’t do that. But thanks for the suggestion. Right now I have to ignore the little Bugger (I like that name if I catch him!) cause it is dark and I can’t catch him by myself. The live animal trap is out side waiting for him. I feel terrible but I am stuck. I don’t even know anyone here that would be able to help me out. I hope he goes in there tonight!

Edited to add: I am going to bed now, been up since 5 because of Bugger and I still hear him out there!:waah: I really hope that he is in the cage right now…:tap:

But I am so sleepy…zzzzzzz:sleepy:

It seems like he knows he wants to be there… he hasn’t run off! Good luck!!

Well, I got some good sleep last night. I woke up at 5 for some reason and looked out at the cage and I saw something moving! I thought I am not going out there right now, it will wait until I get up. So after sleeping a couple more hours, I get up, get dressed and go outside to check it out…
it was not the kitten,

Yep, that is black and white you see, it is a SKUNK! :shock: I have put in 2 calls to wildlife rehab centers hoping they can help me. And I have not heard that Bugger all night or this morning. He is probably sleeping somewhere laughing at me!:lol: