Lion Brand Homespun - a question

Once upon a time, long, long ago I crocheted with LB Homespun yarn and said never again! It was horrible to work with. It snagged on the hook, I couldn’t undo stitches, it was a mess. I finally said, it’ll do and managed to finish the scarf I’d started. This story did not have a happy ending. [I]Is it less horrible for knitting?[/I] I think it looks cool but if it knits like it crochets, I think nothing looks cool enough for that.

A lot of knitters find it’s too awful to knit with, but can crochet with it fine. The trick is to use a larger needle or hook and hold it loosely so it doesn’t bunch up. A size 11 needle or an L or M hook should work fine.

Maybe I’ll give it a try. I have some large needles I could use. Thanks for the info.

I HATE it. If it was the only yarn left in the world, I’d have to stop knitting. Hmph!:shifty:

What she said. For both knitting and crochet. Horrible stuff.

DCM

I’ve used it once to knit a glove for my dog’s retractable leash. We love it, it keeps our hands warm in the winter while out walking the dog. Truthfully, I didn’t have any difficulties with knitting it. You just have to keep a loose tension with it, and make sure you’re knitting through the entire stitch and not splitting the yarn.

If it was the only yarn left in the world, I’d have to stop knitting. Hmph!

:noway: That’s how I felt about it for crochet. :zombie: I’ve noticed some yarns that are nasty for crochet seem to knit more easily so I was hoping someone might think it was easier for knitting. Somebody must be using it, if nobody bought it they’d stop putting it in the stores, wouldn’t they? :?? Maybe there are giant sized stashes of LB Homespun out there? :shrug:

Does anyone here use it?

You just have to keep a loose tension with it, and make sure you’re knitting through the entire stitch and not splitting the yarn.

Hmmmm…That, I think, was the problem I had with crocheting with the stuff. What size needles would you suggest, WolfWalker?

I have used it for prayer shawls using either a size 10 or 11. I didn’t have a problem with it.

I’ve made miles and miles of scarves out of Homespun using size N and P crochet hooks, and once even a size Q. I had very few problems with snagging for those size hooks, and the scarves came out gorgeous (and were quick to make, too)!! Also, the very first big knitting project I did was using Homespun (another scarf–imagine that!), and I used size 13 needles with no problems.

Big needles and loose tension are the key, and, yes, it works up beautifully!!

I know everyone has a preference based on experience, and you’re certainly welcome to despise the stuff if you want to, but I’ve never had a bad experience with it–probably because I used such large hooks and needles.

but I’ve never had a bad experience with it–probably because I used such large hooks and needles.

Same here for me, size 11 or 13s work it up just fine.

How does this washup?
If you fringe it, does it unravel and tangle when washed?

I always carefully handwashed it without any problems. But any fringe will become tangled if you agitate it too much.

I think I’ll give it another go. It’s so long ago I don’t recall what size hook I used, maybe I just needed to go larger. I figure the worst that will happen is I won’t like it…I do think it’s worth another try.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

:stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve used Lion brand Homespun three times: twice for pullover sweaters and once for a lapghan. Using Addi Turbos, the knitting was very easy and pleasurable. The yarn knit up beautifully. The colors are so gorgeous.

END OF HONEYMOON!

After the fact, the yarn wears HORRIBLY. It stretches HORRIBLY. (Very bad for sweaters!) The yarn pills, snags and becomes twiggy, with longish scraggles sticking out everywhere! After a month of use, the sweaters were unusable. The lapghan looked 100 years old.

I hate Lionbrand Homespun. It’s a huge waste of time, money and hopes. :pout:

After washing, the fringe becomes a train wreck. It becomes thin at the tips, begins to disintegrate, and pills…just like the rest of whatever the fringe is attached to. The entire whatever will become a nightmare. The more you use it, and wash it…the worse it becomes. The yarn is awful.

I can understand though why people not familiar with it or new to knitting and crochet are drawn to it. It comes in such pretty colors and is so soft.

Artlady does the RH cotlin washup better? I still have 11 skeins and it looks the same to me, just smaller in size.

I haven’t tried RH Cotlin, but if it’s a cotton-linen blend (?) it should have great stability. I’ve never heard anything negative about cotton-linen blends.

As for washing RH cotlin…I dunno. Cotton-linen might shrink…it might wrinkle…but read the label and follow the advice carefully.

I hated to rant so LOUDLY about Homespun, but I had such a negative experience with it…I just had to. I’ve never felt so badly about a yarn in my life…even the cheapest of the cheap yarns do better than Homespun.

The two sweaters were GIFTS to my son and his wife. :pout: I could die. I’ve learned most of my lessons the hard way, unfortunately.

I hated to rant so LOUDLY about Homespun, but I had such a negative experience with it…I just had to. I’ve never felt so badly about a yarn in my life…even the cheapest of the cheap yarns do better than Homespun.

The two sweaters were GIFTS to my son and his wife. I could die. I’ve learned most of my lessons the hard way, unfortunately.

Thank you for your rant, that’s what I really want to know. If I go to the trouble of making something I want it to last long enough to be worth bothering over. Thank you for sharing your experience with a new knitter. :thumbsup:

Wool and wool blends are out for me, mostly, because people I make things for are allergic including my GKs, and if I can’t hug them because of what I’m wearing I won’t wear it. Because of this, I’m on the lookout for whatever yarns I can use.

I’m glad everyone is willing to share their experiences with Homespun and tell me what they think. Thank you.

I always carefully handwashed it without any problems

According to the LB site, it is machine washable and dryable. Would drying it in the dryer help with the stretching problems? I rarely hand wash anything myself and am afraid I would forget and throw it in the washer just like any other acrylic item. Hmmmmmmmmmm…