Like the pattern but don't like the yarn weight?

So if I’ve got this pattern for a hat, say, a tam, and it’s with a thicker wool, and it’s hopefully going to be worn in a warm climate and I’d like it to be with thinner yarn, say cotton, how do you figure out how to make the pattern work?

Say if I do a swatch and see what the gauge is, then sort of some kind of mathematical sneaky stuff that gets how I change the numbers? Does that sound right?

As long as you’ve got the correct gauge you can use anything you want. You have my permission to do so. :smiley:

Yeah, I get the correct gauge thing, but what does that mean, correct gauge, if the yarn is like a totally different weight? DYKWIM? Like, you’re not going to have the same number of stitches per inch sort of thing. Right?

Or am I understanding this totally sideways?

:blush:

Yeah, I get the correct gauge thing, but what does that mean, correct gauge, if the yarn is like a totally different weight? DYKWIM? Like, you’re not going to have the same number of stitches per inch sort of thing. Right?

Or am I understanding this totally sideways?

:blush:[/quote]

You’ll have to do a gauge swatch and adjust needle size till it matches the gauge in the pattern. I have to do that for a pattern and I keep putting it off… ugh. :rollseyes: