Lifelines and the Bee Stitch

I’m only a couple weeks into learning to knit. I did some practice swatches with garter and stockinette and finally decided to try a simple piece. I thought I’d attempt a scarf, but instead of straight garter decided to try a bee stitch pattern to diversify my learning a bit. After a few practice attempts to figure out the knit-one-below idea, I gave it a shot. I was using a chunky acrylic and only cast on 15 stitches and it went pretty well for awhile. It actually looked nice and then…

I tried to put in a lifeline and a few rows later decided to frog back to it and I made a bad situation worse. The lifeline was tangled in the knitting and not straight and my attempts to figure it out and reclaim a good row of stitches completely failed. The piece was ruined.

I realize now that I did knit the lifeline into my work after it was placed, but I’m wondering how to avoid this and, also, if a lifeline will work when every other row has knit-one-below stitches. Should it be placed on one of the all-knit rows or one of the rows between those? It just seems like wherever it’s placed, some of those stitches are going to be dropped to a different row and maybe tangle.

Gee, I’m sorry for such confused rambling. Short version: How do I avoid knitting the lifeline into my work? Will a lifeline work when knit-one-below stitches are involved?

Thank you. And, again, sorry for the blather.

How did you put the lifeline in? I use a yarn needle. Also make sure you are using a very smooth thinner yarn for lifelines. Is cotton crochet yarn. Also be very careful knitting that first row so as not to catch the lifeline. Occasionally it happens though and I’ve had to pick it out.

I used a yarn needle and a thinner-gauged, lighter-colored yarn. Putting it in (at least where I did) wasn’t a problem. After that, it seemed to get twisted and turned, making recovering it or following it a mess. I’m going to knit up some small samples with the same pattern and fool around with it some more, but I’m just wondering if that knit-one-below feature somehow defeats a lifeline.

I use bedspread weight cotton (think doilies). Maybe the fuzziness of yarn is interfering. Some people use dental floss. I don’t know why the dip to the row below would be an issue as long as you aren’t catching the lifeline in the new stitch.

Got around to doing some practice rows in the same pattern and was careful not to knit in the lifeline. Guess what? It worked. The fuzzy chunky yarn isn’t the most conducive to being fiddled with or re-knit after the fiddling, but the lifeline made the captured loops clear and in good position to re-seat on the needle.

Thanks for the responses. I’m sure this won’t be the last time I panic and start throwing out convoluted problems that only exist in my head.