Left Mitten Troubles!

Hello All!

I’m fairly new to knitting (started last fall) but am pleased with my progress. I recently knitted a right mitten on 2 straight needles. I was nervous because I thought it was going be trickier than it actually was. It was so simple. However, I’ve started the left mitten and this one is proving to be causing me much grief!

I’ve read and re-read the pattern a million times, I’ve written it out twice and am on my second attempt. I just assumed that when it came to the thumb it was be the same idea only on the opposite side. But when I follow the pattern, the thumb seems to be in the middle!?!?

The pattern is using Bernat Roving, with US 10 (6mm) single point needles.

For shaping the thumbs, the pattern reads as follows:

Right Mitten: (31 sts on needle)
Next row: Pattern Across 21 sts, turn, leave rem sts on a spare needle

Next row: cast on 1 st, pattern across 8 sts (inc cast on St), turn, leave rem sts on a spare needle

Left Mitten: (31 sts on needle)
Next row: Pattern across 17 sts, turn, leave rem sts on a spare needles
Next row: cast on 1 st, pattern across 8 sts (inc cast on st), turn, leave rem sts on a spare needle.

I must be misunderstanding something. How many spare needles should I be using. I only used one with the right…so I’m assuming it’s the same? Oh my…! Hahah HELP!

Thanks and lovely knitting to you all!

:heart:️ L.

Welcome!
The pattern wants you to use 2 stitch holders or spare needles but sometimes it’s just as easy to keep the sts on the needles and ignore them. It’s up to you.
On the right mitten, you pattern across 21sts, leave 10sts unworked, turn, cast on one and work 7sts (8 counting the cast on). Then turn again and leave 14sts unworked on spare needle #2. So you have 10-8-14.
For the left mitten you work across 17sts, turn leaving 14sts on spare needle, cast on 1, pattern 7 turn leaving 10 sts on spare needle #2. So you have 14-8-10.
The thumb sts are about in the middle but offset by a few sts and the gloves are mirror images.