Leaving stitch on left needle?

Hello! I have a quick question I hope someone can help me with.

The pattern says:

(cast on 15 sts)…

k 3, yo, k 11, leaving 1 st on needle
Turn, knit across
k 3, yo, k 11, leaving 2 sts on needle
Turn, knit across

etc…

I’m good with most of it, I just can’t seem to figure out what it means to leave the stitch on the needle and THEN turn my work and knit. I get it if the stitch isn’t knitted but it appears that it should be knitted at the end of the row and then again at the beginning when it’s turned. But I’m newer to knitting so I’m unsure…

Thanks!

It sounds like your instructions are calling for you to work short rows. They seem really counterintuitive at first, but once you do it a time or two, it’s easy.

There’s a video for it in the Advanced Techniques section.

Thanks for your reply! I checked out the video but I’m not sure that’s what it’s talking about. It’s a pattern for a round dishcloth so I’m thinking it means something else?

Any other thoughts??

Is it possible to knit a row then keep the last stitch on the left needle, turn the work and then knit again in the same stitch?

Is the pattern online? If so, can you post a link?

I’ve never heard of turning before the end of the row and it not being short rows. And you can do short rows on round pieces, or while knitting in the round…

Thanks again for your help. I went and watched it again and studied the pattern a little more and you are right! Sorry… I’m still learning and sometimes I make the instructions harder than they are. I appreciate all your time and help.

Thanks… it’s all coming together now!

No problem! I’m glad you were able to get it figured out. After you’ve been knitting for awhile you will get really good at “reading” your knitting and seeing how it and the pattern all goes together. But sometimes you just have to “trust the pattern” (as Ingrid, one of the mods, has in her signature). It can be hard to do that, though! :slight_smile: