Learning how to make continuous cables

I bit the bullet and decided to take a Melissa Lipman class on Infinite Cables as I am knitting the GAAA (Great American Aran Afghan) and have wanted to include some squares with these Celtic Cable Motifs. I get them mostly but sometimes they are inscrutable to me.

Her class on Craftsy is good. Since I took a picture of what I did on one of her tutorial patterns, thought you might enjoy to see how I incorporated it into one of the squares I am making into the Kathleen T. Carty square.

I can Kitchner alright however doing the Kitchner stitch on this does not work well for me as you have to do it in the middle of cables and the switching from knit and purl no matter the tutorials I’ve seen, don’t look right. So I changed to a cast on which is increasing one stitch each side (left side on front, right side on back) and then adding one slipped stitch to be able to crochet a seam more neatly with attaching whatever I decided to put in the middle.

So then I did a seam I’d use on the shoulder of a cabled jumper to match the cables. Of course the back shows the seam but the front looks good and if you look at the back, the assembly of this afghan uses seams of some kind, so I just made it work, but my way. The seam is in the lower right hand corner. The other corners are short rows as taught by Cat Bordhi on YouTube.

This has not been blocked. Knit it English as I still get rowing out in the reverse stockinette background. Knowing how to knit Continental, I’ve been able to learn to knit English looser, so I am more happy with my results on this. When I first knit the frame, it was very tight and looks like a twisted noodle. This looks better knit looser.

What do you think?

Afghan Square with class cable sm

5 Likes

So beautiful, Sally. The pattern and the knitting look perfect.
I hope we get to see the Great American Aran Afghan when you finish. It’s a stunning design composition in squares.

It is stunning!

Thank you.

I’ve knit loads of squares which are not in the pattern but I find also pretty. That I have three sons and my husband who likes my knitting, I’ll be knitting till the cows come home. MOOOOOOO…

Thank you also.

Got you i have 5 sons, 4 granddaughters, 1 grandson and a husband. Know what you mean!

I think you did very well! Grafting is not easy. When grafting with knits and purls, that is doubly difficult.

If you are grafting head to head, you will never get them to match perfectly. You will be out by half a stitch. Don’t worry about it!

If it cannot be seen from a galloping horse, then no one will see it! That is from EZ!!

1 Like

After having done several of these “frames” (so to speak) I found out chaining out with a crochet hook, the number of stitches I would be at for my width, makes a much more elegantly smooth seam on the back now. I have a stable loop to draw up from this cast – much like one would cast on if working a crochet project in Tunisian (which I also know). Then there are no purl bumps where I don’t need them. I don’t seam into that anyway, but the seaming is then more narrow which is good.

Kitchner works best where knits and purls are not mixed together, Amen to that. You are preaching to the choir!

Which one of us has graduated from “Knitters College”? We share techniques and this helps us figure out what we want to do and if one way isn’t working, don’t be afraid to think it through in a way which you are confident in. This is how new techniques happen. It is how I finish projects because I’ve found errors in knitting patterns and wow, would I hate to be the editor on written out instructions!

If it will work for you, keep it in the back of your mind next time you are trying to splice knitting, if there isn’t a way you won’t have to pull your hair out for. I already have a high forehead LOL!