Lazy Weekend Socks: Heel Help!

I am working on my first pair of socks so am sort of lost and confused. I started with ribbing, that was fine. The sock is worked with DPNs, I have 48 stitches, divided among 3 needles (16 per needle).

So the next part is starting the heel flap. It told me to turn my work then-
Row 1 (WS): Slip 1, purl across 23 stitches
Row 2: Slip 1, k1, rep across all stitches.
Repeat rows 1 and 2 for a total of 25 rows.

So it has me using 24 sts for the heel flap. But I only had 16 per needle. I watched some youtube videos on knitting heel flaps and they all have you move the sts you are using for the flap to one needle. So I decided to go ahead and move the stitches so 24 were on one needle. I’m starting to think maybe that was a mistake.

I did my 25 rows, they look fine (I think my edge is messed up but don’t think it’ll have any consequence other than giving me trouble when I have to pick up stitches later). The next section is labeled “Turn Heel”. Here are the directions-

Row 1 (RS): Sl 1, k13, ssk, k1, turn.
Row 2: Sl 1, p5, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 3: Sl 1, k6, ssk, k1, turn.
Row 4: Sl 1, p7, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 5: sl 1, k8, ssk, k1, turn.

Cont as sat until al sts have been worked, ending with a WS row, 14 sts.

So the first row is only working 17 of my 24 sts. What am I doing with the rest of them? I also don’t really understand the whole “turn” thing so perhaps that’s why I can’t understand what’s happening. But I’m also thinking maybe it would make more sense if I hadn’t gone and moved my sts around. Can anyone help?

Moving the heel sts to one dpn was exactly the right thing to do. It makes working the heel much easier.
When you knit the heel flap and when you turn the heel, you’ll be working back and forth on the heel sts instead of in the round. You’ll go back to working in the round later.
Yes, just work that first row on 17sts, then turn as you would at the end of a row. Don’t worry about the sts that are unworked. You’ll start incorporating those sts into the heel as you proceed with the directions.
See if this video helps with the general idea

Thank you!! That video was very helpful and I went ahead and did this and it’s looking good.

So now my confusion lies in the last part of the directions to " Continue as set until all sts have been worked, ending with a WS row, 14 sts."

I thought it meant to continue int he same sort of pattern they had already laid out, so the next rows would be
Sl 1, p9, p2tog, p1, turn
Sl 1, k10, ssk, k1, turn

So I did that but when I got to the next row it didn’t work, there were only enough sts to get to p2tog, I wouldn’t be able to do the last p1 and I wasn’t down to 14 sts.

So am I supposed to repeat the first 5 rows again? Or something else? I see in the video you posted she goes until the gap, not counting out a particular number of stitches, then does her decrease. Is that what I should do?

Never mind, I figured it out. I had done it correctly (what I did was the same as going by the gap), I simply needed to go back and do one more row. I thought I was done right after closed the last gap and all the stitches were on one needle, but one more row got me to 14 sts.

Perfect! You’re on your way.