"laxo" hat help - wrapped stitches, crossing wraps, across, open splits, etc

so confused here…

been checking out a ton of new knitting books from the library. 2014 was a banner year for them (maybe because i was checking out so many earlier, they thought there was crazy demand for new stuff?)

anyway, laura nelkin’s ‘knockout knits’ has a pattern called ‘laxo.’ it’s a hat for ‘guys’ but really it’s unisex. ravelry link at http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/laxo-hat .

here’s the deal: i don’t get the concept of the extra wraps and the dropping of the wraps but not working them and then later crossing them… i think it’s akin to cabling, but the directions in the book leave a lot to be desired, for me.

i contacted the nelkin group on ravelry, including the 10 people who’ve made the hat and posted their projects. 9 of them were no help. either they made it in the development stages as test knitters, and it’s been 2-3 years. or else they made it and said it was easy and they just used the book’s instructions with no problems. one of the moderators said there’s no video help (even tho on laura’s website she has other videos) and that the book directions are sufficient, and then offered nothing else. (thanks again, designers and lackeys, always a joy.)

one of the ravelers said they wanted to knit another one for their brother and would be starting it by this weekend, so would be happy to try to help or explain better if they could, once they got to that part. while a nice gesture, it’s only still a maybe.

so here are the directions (just that part to avoid copyright issues) and hopefully somebody knows how to explain it better, or knows of a good video resource:

“ACROSS
use this technique to cross individual elongated stitches over each other. drop the first stitch from the left-hand needle, leave it to the front of the work, and slip the next X stitches to the right-hand needle. drop the next stitch, leaving it to the front of the work, and place the first stitch back onto the left-hand needle. slip the X stitches from the right -hand needle back to the left-hand needle. take the last dropped stitch and place it onto the left-hand needle. knit these X stitches since they have been elongated, they won’t go anywhere. just be careful when you pick them back up that the right leg of the stitch is to the front of the needle (ie, don’t twist it.)”

and then…

“OPEN SPLIT
this technique moves individual elongated stitches away from each other. slip the next X stitches onto the right-hand needle, drop the next stitch and leave to the front of the work, and slip X stitches back to the left-hand needle. pick up the dropped stitch, put it onto the left-hand needle, and knit these X stitches. drop the next stitch, leaving it to the front of the work, and slip the next X stitches onto the right-hand needle. pick up the dropped stitch and place it onto the left-hand needle, then slip X stitches back to the left-hand needle. knit these X stitches.”

so any ideas, help?

Look for videos on cabling or crossing stitches without a cable needle. Same concept. It seems to me that New Stitch a Day has something similar to this. I’ll go look for videos too but you’ll probably be faster without me.

ok, will try that first. thanks :wink:

The closet videos I can find are Extended Openwork http://newstitchaday.com/how-to-knit-the-extended-open-work-stitch/ and Indian Cross Stitch http://newstitchaday.com/how-to-knit-the-indian-cross-stitch/ . I’m not sure either of them will be helpful. :sad:

interesting… i hadn’t considered those 2… but you’re right, it’s a similar method with the extra wraps…

If you’re nervy about letting it all hang out you could hold them on a cable needle, dpn, something.

how well you know me… i was thinking about a locking stitch marker, a big paperclip, etc… something easy enough to slip on/off, but just barely weighty enough to hold the stitch down without stretching everything else.

:teehee: :teehee: :teehee: