Lavish Flap Hat - Classic Elite

HELP!
I’m not understanding the decrease row information in this pattern:

http://www.classiceliteyarns.com/pdf/LavishFlapHatWristlets.pdf

I’ve established the 3 cable panels and have worked the hat for the required 5.5 inches. I am at the point where I have 67 stitches on the needle, and am at the point where I’m supposed to be on a decrease row.

Est Cable Dec Panel and Cable Dec Row: (RS); *SSK, work to 2 sts before marker, k2 tog, beg Row 1 of Cable Decrease Panel, work to next marker; rep from *2 times, ssk, work to last two sts, k2tog - 67 stitches

Continue working Cable Dec Panel, rep cable dec row every 4 rows 1 time, and then EOR 2 times. - 25 stitches remain.

Dec Row: (rs) *SSk, work to 2 sts before marker, k2tog, p1, k1, p1: repeat from *2 times, ssk, work to last 2 sts, k2tog - 17 stitches remain

Here are the questions -
I have 67 stitches. I’ve finished the 4 row of the decrease cable panel, now what?? Is the 5th row the decrease row? If yes, this is where I’m lost. I have the decrease row instructions, and the 5 row of the cable decrease panel. I don’t get how to put the two together.
HELP!
Thanks.

Karen

I don’t understand the names “Cable Dec Panel” and “Cable Dec Row”, but I have looked at the pattern and done quite a bit of thinking and figuring and this what I see happening.

On the first row that you decrease you do a SSK at the beginning of each of the St st panels and a K2tog at the end of each of the St stitch panels. When you work the cable panels you follow the chart that shows you how to decrease the cable panel parts. So on the first decrease row you p1, k3, s2kp, k3, p1 over each of the 3 cable panels.

Row 2: Purl across the St st panels and work the cable panels as k1, p2, sl1 pw wyif, k1, sl1 pw wyif, p2, k1.

Row 3: K across the st st panels with no decreases, and work each cable section p1, sl2 to CN, hold in back, k1, k2 from CN, p1, sl1 to CN, hold in front, k2, k1 from CN, p1.

Row 4: Purl across the St st panels. Work the cable panels: k1, p3, k1, p3, k1.

Row 5: (Dec row) Work a ssk at the beginning of each St st panel and a k2tog at the end of each St st panel. Work the cable panels: p1, k2, s2kp, k2, p1.

Row 6: Purl the St st panels and work the cable panels: k1, p1, sl1 st pw wyif, p1, sl1 st pw wyif, p1, k1.

Row 7: Knit across the St st panels, and work the cable panels as follows: P1, sl1 st to CN, hold in back, k1, k1 from CN, k1, sl1 st to CN, hold in front, k1, k1 from CN, p1.

Row 8: Purl across the St st panels, and work the cable panels as follows: k1, p5, k1.

Row 9: (Dec row) Ssk at the beginning of each St st panel and k2tog at the end of each St st panel. Work the cable panels:
P1, k1, s2kp, k1, p1.

Row 10: Purl the St st panels, work the cable panels k1, p3, k1.

Row 11: (Dec row) Begin each St st panel with a ssk and end it with a k2tog. Work the cable panels: P1, s2kp, p1.

Row 12: Purl the St st panels, work cable panels: k1, p1, k1.

Now you are done with the chart, and should have 25 sts. Work the next row by doing the ssk at the beginning of each St st panel and ending each St st panel with k2tog (they will be right next to each other by now) and working the cable panels: P1, k1, p1.

Work a row of purl.
On the last row k2tog across and end with a k1 because there was an uneven number.

Each of the decrease rows that are in the part where you work the decrease chart you will be decreasing 14 stitches. You do those 14 decreased stitches 4 times in the course of the chart. You started with 81. 14X4=56. So at the end of the chart you have 81-56=25 Then you do one more decrease row where you only decrease in the 4 St st sections. That makes 4X2=8 more that you decrease. 25-8=17. Then you k2tog 8 times +k1 to end up with 9 sts. End off.

I’m saving all this information for myself because my husband may want to knit this hat. He really likes it. :thumbsup:

Okay, I’m going to knit this right now! Will let you know how it works out. Thank you so much!

You’re welcome. Yes, please let me know how it works out. I always enjoy hearing how these things go.

Okay - it’s done. I’m thrilled. The hat is being blocked. When it’s finished drying, I’ll send pictures.
Thanks for all of your help. My great-niece will LOVE this hat. Actually, my niece will love this hat, too, since I don’t think my great-niece has ever worn a store bought hat.
Karen

Wow, that was fast! I’m working on a hat too for one of my grown daughters. I had a pattern and followed until I thought it was needing to me made a little smaller at the top than it looked like it was going to be. I made the whole hat and it looks like the picture in the front but has this saggy, baggy quality going on in the back that none of had bargained on. So I ripped it all out and am scaling it down. It’s a simple pattern.

I’m looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Here are the pictures. One comment if I did this hat again - I would knit it in the round. Also, I don’t think that our decreases make the hat look like the pattern but it’s close enough.
Thank you so much for your ongoing help that Sunday night!
http://img690.imageshack.us/i/snowball2009023.jpg/
http://img21.imageshack.us/i/snowball2009020.jpg/

Karen

Well, that looks pretty good, but the cable doesn’t turn out looking like it does in their picture. I’m not sure why theirs looks like it does. That slip 3 to CN and hold in back, knit 1, knit the 3 from the CN and its accompanying slip 1 to CN, k3, k1 from the CN makes an odd looking cable. I just tried 3 repeats of the cable and then did all the decrease chart and although I did exactly what it says to do it doesn’t look all that hot to me. It is mostly the cable itself that I don’t like the looks of. Their picture doesn’t look like they made that cable that way. LOL Oh, well. You hat turned out nicely anyway.

Thank goodness your decreases looked like mine - I was afraid that I did something incorrect. Thanks, again, for all of your help and perserverance in getting me through this project. I have to finish all of my started projects and this one has been hanging around for quite some time.

Thank you!

Karen