Last stitch in row....

When you get to the end of a row when you are knitting a blanket should you knit the last stitch or slip it to make a nice edge ?

I’d say it just depends on what you’re after and what you like the look of, as well as how it fits into the stitch pattern you’re working at the edges. I’m making a blanket right now that has garter stitch border. I just knit the first and last stitches of every row (ie, garter selvedge) because I like the simple effect of it for this.

If you aren’t sure you could always work up a tiny sample with a different edging on each side to compare which effect you like best.

1 Like

Thanks for replying!! I am still learning!!!

This I think is the best solution. Even if one is knitting a test piece just 5 stitches wide, one can test different edges.

Welcome!
Here are a couple of ways of working the edge stitches. I agree that testing this out is a good way to be sure of the look you want.

Aren’t we all… :slight_smile:

1 Like

The conventional way to work rows in the Western style of knitting is to slip the FIRST stitch of a row, and work all the way to the very last one.

And yet, if you watch any Russian videos, they will slip the first stitch, and always purl the last stitch! Sometimes they will work the first stitch and slip the last stitch with yarn in front…!

So there are several ways to do this. YOU decide… again, after you have worked a sample. I like to keep all my samples in a book, with complete written out instructions of what I did. This is my reference library… and I go back to it often. Make samples of all the different ways of handling the edge stitches and keep an accurate record of what you did.

The other bit of advice I will give you is – no matter which one you choose (and all are good), be sure you use that same method throughout your entire project. You do not change part way through!! Choose one and use it all the way to the end. On the next thing you make, choose another, and then compare… but only ONE per project!!