Large Needle - Yarn Ends

I’m a lifelong crochet-er (40+ years) but relatively new to knitting. I’m working a large needle afghan (US 17) that is coming out great. I’m fine with knitting two strands together for a while and/or weaving in ends on a regular basis, but when using larger needles the fabric is just too loose for the yarn ends not to pop out anyway. This is non-feltable yarn. I’ve been knotting my joins so far but what is your experience on how best to deal with the ends? I’m thinking a good knot with a dab of fray-check is probably the best I can do. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Or longer tails on the knots maybe.

http://www.knittinganyway.com/freethings/russianjoin.htm

How about a Russian Join?

I would not use fray-check. Won’t it make a hard lumpy spot in your afghan? I don’t think that will be comfortable.

Greetings Patrick! I have not used big yarn and needles that much. It sounds like you are only using one strand for the knitting and I thought this may work. I learned this technique not long ago and I’m loving it. I don’t know if it will be of use for you in your situation, but you could try it and see if it works.

This works best with stockinette stitch or garter stitch. Give it a look. I like to leave a generous tail and duplicate stitch the tail in for 1 1/2 to 2 inches. I find it fun to do. :slight_smile: You might do it even further if you need to for the big stuff. Good luck with your project. LINK

Small tight knots with long tails. Weave the tails several stitches in one direction then back in the other direction to lock them in place. No Fray-Check.

I recently made a Log Cabin lap robe and tied the ends in secure bows. Sort of cute.

The looseness of the fabric created by large needles is a challenge when weaving in ends!

In addition to weaving an end in several directions (suggested by Knitasha), it also helps to use a sharper than usual needle and actually split the fibers of the yarn you’re weaving into rather than passing under/over them. This will help to anchor the ends more securely, but you may still have to resort to a crochet hook occasionally to deal with an errant end as the fabric is stretched in use and washing.

I don’t know the answer to your question, but everybody, try Fray Block instead of Fray Chek because it is not scratchy.