Lace yoga mat bag st count troubles

I am knitting a yoga bag in a lace pattern and I am confused. I’m not confused as to what stitches I’m doing, but I’m confused as to how many stitches should be on each row. I started with 80, and I would assume that the increases and decreases should make up for each other and always be at 80, but sometimes I am not at 80 stitches (on this particular row I’ve found that I messed up somewhere because at the end there are supposed to be 5 stitched and there are only 4)

Can someone help me do the math on this pattern?

Rows 1,3,5,7: Purl

2: K2, * yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo, k1; rep from * to last 2 sts, k2.

4: k2, *K1, yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo; rep from * to last two sts, k2.

6: K1, k2tog, *yo k1, yo, sl1, k2tog, psso; rep from * to last 5 sts, yo k1, ssk, k2.

1. k2, k2tog, *yo, k1, yo, sl1, k2tog, psso; rep from * to last 4 sts, k1, yo, ssk, k1.

I wish I knew how to draw out the pattern, then maybe I could do the math better on how many sts are supposed to be on each row.

I’m very frustrated. I’m thinking of throwing in the towel on this one. OR starting over with a new stitch.

I started to try to figure this out before, got interrupted and didn’t get back to it. I’ll take a look if you like.

I would be SO Happy if you could help me out Ingrid! I did draw up a chart earlier in an attempt to figure it out, but I still haven’t yet.

In essence, the pattern can be figured out by using 16 sts instead of 80, just to make it easier.

I just saw this and would like to help you figure it out! Don’t give up yet!! :wink: (Is this the yoga mat bag pattern from S’nB Nation??)

Row 2: K2, * yo, sl1, k2tog, psso, yo, k1; rep from * to last 2 sts, k2.

The part inside the starts with 4 stitches (sl1+K2tog+k1=4) and comes out with 4 stitches (yo+the sl1,k2tog,psso equals 1 stitch+yo+K1=4). So you start the row with K2, do the 19 times, then end with K2. You will start that row with 80 stitches and will end that row with 80 stitches.

Each of the other 3 right side rows are just variations of the same stitch pattern, just staggered diagonally. The only difference I can see is that in rows 6 and 8, the portion between the is repeated only 18 times due to the number of stitches worked at the beginnings and ends of those rows.

Please give me a shout if you have more questions. I’m fairly certain that there are no errors in the pattern, and from my estimations you will begin and end each row with 80 sts.

Let me know if you’d like me to chart it out for you. I’d be happy to do what I can.

The stitches within the asterisks balance out. However, in rows six and eight, the introductory portions contain decreases (the k2tog) without a matching increase.

Thanks SO much! Yes…it is the yoga mat bag from SNB Nation. I just have to figure out why I come out short, or too much sometimes. I just dove into drawing up charts today because of this and tried, but I would love to see what you come up with as well, if you don’t mind.

I’ve given myself a lifeline on this thing because I’ve messed up about 4 times in the same area, it sucks so bad because I’m hardly making ANY progress. I’ve only done about 14 rows or less in about 2 days due to my screw ups.

This is what I was wondering about before which is why I ventured into drawing up charts, but I still havent figured it out.

I think that on those two rows, the decrease in the introductory part is balanced by a yo at the part after the *.

I’m just about to chart this out for you, be right back…

Thanks! I was also thinking that until I saw the ssk also added at the end of each.

Got any tips for lace knitting? this is hard! :shock:

Looks like it’s being handled! Carry on! :wink:

It can be hard, especially if the pattern shifts, since you can’t really use stitch markers easily.

Working from a chart makes it much easier since you can see if you’re doing the current stitch in the correct stitch from the row below and can double check the same way when you do the purl row back.

I’ll be honest, I’m not so great at charting either and I don’t know how I can do it on my computer and then make it an image that I can post here as an attachment. Sorry. Could I email you the chart I made in Microsoft Word?

Okay, I’ve finally gotten a nifty little chart all ready for you, just pm me your email address and I’ll send it off. It took quite a bit of thinking, I can see where you find this pattern confusing. Hopefully the chart will clear things up for you. It makes a lot more sense to me too, now that I see it drawn out.

Thanks Ingrid and knitqueen! Hopefully I can get this thing figured out. i’ll post my progress in Whatcha Knittin forum.