Lace scarf pattern question (backyard leaves)

hey everyone!
i’m having trouble with this scarf pattern in the book scarf style, the pattern is called backyard leaves–maybe one of you knows it already. anyway, the author says that she has added a border of slip-stitch double knitting to keep the edges from rolling. however, the instructions as how to do that are not included and only the lace pattern itself is provided. i would really like to make this scarf as a present for a friend, but i can barely understand it! can anyone help?
thanks!

[size=2]edit - [color=violet]mod squad was here[/color][/size]

I am pretty sure I know what she is talking about.

First, to understand the two terms, let’s quickly define both.

Slip stitch: moving a stitch from the left needle to the right needle without working it. (Do not knit or purl, slip as if to purl)

Double Knit: Fabric that is double thickness, showing knit stitches on both sides. Amy shows one form of double knitting here but this is a slightly different method than what you are going to be doing. In Amy’s example, she works in two colors, knitting both sides of the fabric in a single row, then turning, switching the colors and knitting the remaining stitches on both sides of the fabric.

In the method for the scarf, you will use only one color and knit the front of the border on one row and the back of the border on the return row.

A slip stitch double-knit border is made up of three stitches at each end, so add a total of 6 stitches to your pattern. I like to place a stitch marker three stitches in at each side, to remind me that those stitches are extra–separate from the pattern itself.

On all right side rows: K1, sl1, k1, slip marker, work pattern to last 3 stitches, slip marker, k1, sl1, k1
On all wrong side rows: sl1, k1, sl1, slip marker, work pattern to last 3 stitches, slip marker, sl1, k1, sl1

Note that the border stitches are always knit, never purled.

You must remember with this pattern that when you slip the sts you have the yarn in front (the position that you would have the yarn in as if to purl) and after the st is slipped onto the right needle, you move the working yarn back to the back bc your next st is a knit st.
The 1st row in this pattern is a set up row (wrong side)
Row 1 begins with Right Side and the 1st 3 sts are the sts that you are asking about, it’s not a true double knit as one does when actually knitting a double knit project, this is what is confusing. Okay, 1st 3 sts are as follows, knit, slip with yarn in front, working yarn goes back to back & 3rd st is knit st… cont following the chart.
you will find that the wrong side rows (even #s) will have u slip 1st st with yarn in front, move yarn to back & knit 2nd st, move yarn to front & slip the 3rd st
I believe it’s around the 6th row that you begin doing this slipped st pattern on both ends of the scarf, thus keeping the stocking st from rolling as it normally does.
The stitch key that you see by the chart shows the symbols in the chart & it will let you know when you are to slip the sts, etc.
It’s really much, much easier than it sounds & looks in the book :wink:

Hi!

I am new to knitting anything lace related and have a question about the increase on the 1st RS row of the backyard leaves scarf pattern. For reference, Rebecca posted a picture here. (Thank you for posting that, btw, Rebecca, that was more helpful in deciphering this chart than you can imagine!)

So on the set up row you have 10 stitches. On the 1st RS row, there are 12. What stitches are the increases on the set up row? I know the yos will increase it by two stitches but not until the next row, right?

I read that when you do a yo you don’t actually knit it as an extra stitch until the following row so I am confused. Any help is greatly appreciated!

**edited to add: Nevermind! I figured it out. I had been treating the yo as a separate stitch and that’s why I kept coming up short.