Lace Cast-on

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Just received a luscious laceweight cashmere & [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I immediately got out needles & did a little stockinette [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]swatch & I’m getting the gauge for the Arctic Lace North Star Scarf [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3](7 sts/inch), so I’m thinkin I’m good to go.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]But considering that my cast on for my other (first lace) [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]project turned out to be too tight, I guess I oughta cast on [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]in a larger needle.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Need some opinions here lace knitters…do you regularly [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]use a larger needle to cast on for lace projects? One size [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]larger? Two?? Three??? Hold 2 of the same size needles [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]together?[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Any input welcomed! and THANKS![/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Knit ON! :knitting:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]Diane[/SIZE][/FONT]

I don’t know the answer because I’m not a lace knitter, but I’ll bump this for you.

I haven’t done much lace yet, but I generally cast on with a needle two sizes larger or with two needles of the same size, depending on what is close to hand.

I tend to just use a cabled cast on with the same needle I’m going to do the main project with - the cable caston is a nice neat but stretchy cast on.

You could do a provisional caston and then cast off with the tension you think is right after the lace is finished. For lace I would generally recommend the knitted caston or looped caston (PITA to work on the first row and may flare a bit).