Kool aid dye: vinegar a must?

So I have a skein of cheapy yarn ready for dyeing with kool aid. I’ve got my kool aid colors all picked out. But then I discovered I only have balsamic vinegar, not white!! Is using vinegar a must? I read on knitty’s article you don’t need it, but everything else I’ve read says you do. Help please??

I used Knitty’s directions when I koolade dyed some KnitPicks yarn. It was fun and easy to do. I didn’t use vinegar and the yarn soaked up all the color. After I cooked it in the microwave and let it rest, I rinsed it and I didn’t notice any color bleeding from the yarn.

I am knitting a felted clog slipper with the yarn, so I’ll see how well the dye holds up during the felting.

Jennifer

The one time I forgot to add vinegar, my yarn bled like crazy. :rollseyes:

I used vinegar, also, just because I thought better safe than sorry. You could do a “test dye” on a small bit of yarn, to see if you really need it.

I just felted my koolaid dyed clog slippers last night, using hot water and a mild soap. There was no color in the soapy water or the rinse water.

I didn’t use vinegar when I dyed the yarn. I cooked it in the microwave, 2 minutes at a time, until the dye water in the dish turned clear, so maybe that it why I didn’t have a problem with the dye bleeding.

XbelovedXoneX, let us know how your dying turns out!

Jennifer

could you go ahead and dye the yarn without the vinegar, then when you block or felt, add vinegar to the water to keep it from bleeding? I add a little vinegar to the wash when I am washing red items or a new garmet I think may bleed.

Just an idea to save a trip to the store tonight!