KnittingHelp Monthly Challenge: July

I’m revaling it early! I hope that’s alright, it’s only 3 days, after all.

This month’s challenge will be…

[COLOR=red]A LACE PROJECT!!![/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]I think lace is great summer knitting, because it’s light and airy, and it’s also great travel knitting, for those who are on vacation, because the yarn doesn’t take up much room, and a 24" needle can easily handle 1000 stitches, loosely worked.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]For your first project, start with something easy and small, like a scarf. with a simple lace repeat. When you’re finished, block it according to directions – blocking makes all the difference in lace.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]And, in my opinion, a rectangle is the easiest shape to start with. A pattern that I think would be great for a beginning lace knitter is Cheryl Oberle’s Kimono Shawl, from her “Folk Shawls” book. It’s a rectangular shawl with garter stitch edgings that are knit as you go. The lace pattern itself is fairly easy and repeats over and over. And it’s fun to knit![/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]I’ve knit using a wide selection of yarns – no one in particular stands out, but I really prefer to use wool than any other fiber, because it blocks out sooo well![/SIZE][/FONT]

You can knit any lace project, any yarn, any needles. I would strongly suggest that you use wool, so as to be able to block it out. I’m going to include some lace patterns (mostly shawls), and most of them are knitted in laceweight, but most of them are also adaptable to any yarn, at any gauge.

There is a great selection of lace patterns here

In light of this new challenge, I myself have cast on for Kiri!

And, a detail shot:

Enjoy the challenge! I thought this challenge would give most people a chance to step out and experiment, and maybe learn a few new techniques along the way. Enjoy!

Great idea! Does it count if we are doing the Mystery Stole 3? It starts Friday and is a HUGE lace project!

Nope, doesn’t matter, as long as it’s a lace knit!

Yippee! Lace! That was on my to do list and I have some mystery lace weight wool that my mom gave me that I kool-aid dyed last month. It’s just waiting for me to make a shawl or scarf with.

Thanks, Braden. I’m looking forward to starting.

Best,
Susan

Yep, I must say that that is rather serendipitous. :muah: I’m planning on starting the Mystery stole too! Although I am currently practicing lace with a small free shawl pattern from elann.com. I might actually accomplish the challenge this time!! :clink:

I didn’t even know about the Mystery Shawl, I guess these two go hand in hand. I only picked lace because I thought it would allow people to learn new techniques, and, for some, step out of their comfort zone and advance more. Plus, it’s great summer and travel knitting.

How very fortuitous!! I’m getting ready to start the Airy Scarf with ArtYarns Silk Rhapsody in color 105. What a gorgeous colorway! This pattern is in [U]One Skein[/U] by Leigh Radford and is a very simple lace pattern. Since this is my first attempt at lace, I hope it actually is simple. Count me in for the KAL.

Great! I had hoped that this would be a popular challenge!

I just printed out the Little Arrowhead Shawl from IK online- but I’m so intimidated by lace and charts!! If I can work up the nerve I’ll try… maybe I’ll look for a simpler pattern from your links Contiknitter…

Kiri is a good beginner lace pattern. But, I worked up my own scarf pattern that is absolutely mindless knitting.

Cast on any even number of stitches.

Row 1: Knit 2, yarn over, purl 2 together.

Do that for every row, and you get a great effect. The great part is that you can use it for a scarf, stole, wrap, or a large shawl. Very versatile.

Ok- I really like the looks of this one:
http://www.vintagepurls.net.nz/Downloads/Stitchcraft232CobwebStole.pdf
(from knittingpatterncentral)

but since it is a vintage pattern it has some terms I’m not familiar with:

[B][FONT=TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT][LEFT]1[/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT][SIZE=1]st [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRomanPS-BoldMT]row: [/B][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT]right side facing, k.1, * (k.2 tog., [B][COLOR=red]w1. fwd.)[/COLOR][/B] twice, k.1, wl. fwd., (k.2 tog.) twice, k.2, wl. fwd, k.2 tog., wl. fwd.; repeat from * to last stitch, k.1.[/LEFT]

in red- is that a YO?
There’s no legend in the pattern… it would have to be, right? to keep the stitch number correct?

Deep breath- I think I can do it!
[/FONT]

i am going to do this. i have done some lace, but nothing with yo’s on every row. i am leaning towards a bookmark or doily for my project because i have so much otn, and not too much to frog if i screw up.

thanks Braden!

A perfect challenge…But, still not as insanely creative/wild/witty as Hildie’s were. I’m a traditionalist at heart. :shrug:

That is a yarn over! And, to quote Ingrid:

“If I can do it, you can do it.”

“Trust the pattern”

:teehee:
[/LEFT]

Oh I think I am going to do this too.

I bought 5 skeins of Claudia’s Hand Painted yarn in Lemon Ice when I was in the city last year and did not know what to do with it. Now I need to find a pattern.

Thanks Conti

I posted a link to KPC section of “Lace and Lacy items.” Here’s a page with nothing but rectangular shawl patterns, many of which are perfect for beginning lace knitters, and plenty for experienced lace knitters, and for all stages in between.

Glad you all are enjoying the challenge! I know I am.

I’m going to make a square, I’ve got the knitter’s bible is ok if I do some lace stitches from there? Or does it have to be a garment? The squares WOULD be put to good use.

Oh, it doesn’t matter at all. As long as you do some type of lace stitch, you’ll be fine! :thumbsup:

I absolutely love lacework and I’ll probably lurk on this thread to help out with questions… I always have some sort of lace OTN. These are a few of my favorite links, and trust me- I have many more!

My personal favorite lace website is http://www.yarnover.net/

Another lace pattern I love is the column of leaves scarf at http://brookenelson.com/leafscarfpattern.html

Knitting pattern central has a whole section of lace patterns at http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/lace.php

Wellll… I guess I’m sorta in 2 KALs now. I just started Convertible from knitty, but I’m making it as a shawl that can be folded over for a scarf - no buttonholes. And I’m about halfway through the body of the pinwheel Sweater that I’d like to put a lacey edging on. Anyone know of a reversible lace pattern that can be knit in the round?