Knitting

Cast off 2 sts at beg of next 2 rows. 40(42:44:46) sts. Dec 1 st at each end of next row and foll 3 alt rows, then on 2 foll 4th rows. 28(30:32:34) sts. Work 1 row, ending with RS facing for next row. Dec 1 st at each end of next and foll 0(1:2:3) alt rows, then on foll 5 rows, ending with RS facing for next row. Cast off rem 16 sts.

Welcome to the forum!
Do you have a question about how to work these decreases? Which size are you making, 1st, 2nd, 3rd?

Did that paragraph simply boggle your mind? Some like this will stop you dead in your tracks. If you’re trying to decipher this, take it in small pieces. I usually rewrite on a sheet of paper, step by step, along with the stitch count as any decreases will go. Yours might start out something like this, assuming you’re making the smallest size and are starting out with 44 sts:
Cast off 2 sts at beg of next row (42)
Cast off 2 sts at beg of next row (40)
Dec 1 st at each end of next row (38)
See what I’m doing? Hope this was what you were looking for and that it helps!

Thank you for welcoming me. Sorry but I posted the wrong info and I figured out how to do the one that was supposed to be quoted.

Work 1 row. Inc 1 st at front opening edge of 3rd and 2 foll 6th rows and at same time, dec 1 st at armhole edge of next and foll 2(1:1:0) alt rows. 25(28:30:33) sts. Here is my question, I know how to do 3rd and 2 foll 6th rows so after I do that, is that when I do dec 1 st at armhole edge of next and foll 2 alt rows ?

Generally when it is worded that way they want you to both at the same time. So you are following the directions for the increases on the opening while at the same time following the instructions for the decreases on the armhole side.
I find it easiest when doing those kinds of instructions to take a piece of lined paper, mark a column of rows, and then write in the increases and decreases on each. For example:3rd row has an inc 1 stitch at opening edge. Then mark which rows the other two increases are on. Row 2 has a dec 1 stitch at armhole edge. Then mark which rows you would need to do the other decreases on (if needed for size). By your last increase your number of stitches should match what they say.
It would seem that patterns are written this way to try and make the written pattern look less cluttered. I keep a notebook in my notions bag just to figure them out lol

1 Like

Also welcome!!

Thank you so much, The instructions you gave make it much clearer and makes sense.