Knitting with Two Strands and Size Question

Greetings,

I will be knitting a Snuggle to donate to an animal shelter via the Snuggles Project (www.snugglesproject.org). For the Snuggle I want to make, I will need to knit with two strands of yarn. Do I cast on with two strands or yarn or do I only start knitting with two strands of yarn in the first row after the cast on?

Also, I am not told how many stitches to cast on. I am directed to cast on as many stitches as I will need for the particular size Snuggle I want to knit.

The sized are:

14" x 14" for cats and small animals

24" x 24" for cats and small to medium dogs

36" x 36" for medium to large dogs

How would I determine how many stitches to cast on for the different sizes?

Thank you,

Amy

Cast on with both otherwise your CO edge will be smaller, and most likely, tighter.

Do a small swatch. From that, determine your gauge and how that’ll transfer to the bigger project. If you get 3 sts/in, multiply that out to whatever finished item you’re considering doing. For instance, if you’re doing the M/L dog piece you’d need to CO 36x3 (=108).

cam

What a great project!! Yep, your right you would hold both yarns together during the casting on :happydance:

I tried looking around to see if they had suggestions on the other sizes but didn’t find anything…I’m wondering if the KnitSimple Holiday 2007 has all the directions or at least let’s you know # of sts to cast on…you could do a gauge swatch and figure out how many sts you get per inch… then figure out how many you would need to get the size you wanted…:thumbsup:

I’d just cast on as many stitches as it takes to get your initial measurement–go for a bit less as it will grow a bit as you knit.

I seriously doubt they’d reject a gift that’s an inch off here or there.

I am not sure if I should be starting a new thread or asking another question here regarding this project… I am in the process of knitting my gauge swatch with the two two strands of yarn. I am finding that my yarn from the two skeins keeps getting twisted around the other. When I notice this I take one of the skeins and bring it over or under the other skein so that the strands are untangled again. However, my knitted stitches do not look twisted. Do you know what I may be doing wrong?

Thank you,

Amy

You’re not really doing anything wrong. One thing you can try to minimize the twisting is to put both skeins in a bag together. They won’t move so much to twist together. Another thing is to hold the two strands and let your knitting dangle and twirl to come untwisted.

The knitting really enjoys the spin, too. :teehee: