Knitting with single-ply yarn

I’m using a single-ply for the first time - the yarn is untwisting itself between the ball and getting on the needle. Is this normal? Or should I be holding the yarn differently than I would for a plied yarn?

It doesn’t seem to happen so much when I’m purling. :??

Everything looks fine on the needles (though this is making k2tog a little difficult), I’m just wondering if there is a better way to go about knitting with it.

I’ve seen this happen too and not just with single ply. It may help to let the project and needle dangle from the ball and twist itself back up again or to put the ball of yarn in a bowl or smooth-sided container so that it can slip around as the yarn comes off it.

I think it’s pretty normal for single plies. You might try watching how you turn at the end of the row and turn in the direction that twists it somewhat.

Just to follow-up since I finally(!) had some time to play with this yarn over the long weekend. I found that holding the ball in front on my lap, rather than off to the side like I usually do cut down on this issue a lot. It still happens every once in awhile but nowhere near as much as before - yay!

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions. :slight_smile:

Good to know you found a solution, will remember that.