Knitting With Color

[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]I need help figuring out if there is a way I can work color into a scarf for my friend. She asked me to make her a scarf with the Gryffindor lion on it from Harry Potter. She wants a solid red/burgundy scarf, with the exception of a solid yellow/gold lion. I couldn’t find any patterns online for a lion, so I made one up myself on graph paper, just filling in the squares. I’m not sure if there’s a way that I can make a solid yellow lion on top of the solid red background, though. I’ve watched the Fair Isle knitting video, and I don’t want to have loops on the back of my work. The Intarsia [forgive me if my spelling is wrong] looked kind of complicated and not exactly the right technique, but I can’t be sure. I am familiar with Illusion knitting, but I was hoping to avoid that this time around. Is there any way for me to do this?
Thanks! :)[/FONT]

Duplicate stitch would probably be easiest. You complete the scarf in the base color. Then go back & add the lion. One thing to take into account. A knit stitch isn’t a square. So you need to adjust the grafted design accordingly.

I did a quick online search about converting from graphs to knitting. I found this. Have never used it but thought I’d pass it along.

http://domestikgoddess.com/3-easy-ways-to-chart-a-knitting-pattern/

I agree…duplicate stitch is the best. That way there it kinds of stands out just a little bit and you don’t have a mess of cut yarn everywhere on the “back”

[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Okay, thank you! :slight_smile: Is duplicate stitching difficult? I’ve actually never heard of it before…[/FONT]

No, it isn’t hard. You just create a stitch overtop of the stitches you have already worked. Let me look for a link.

Okay, try this video.

[FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Okay, great! Thank you so much! :D[/FONT]

Here’s a good video in case you need to see someone doing it.