Knitting the sleeve

i don’t understand what the dirctions are telling me to do… here they are…
[color=green]
Sleeve: Slip sts from first (front) section up to marker (should be 22sts) onto right needle. Cast on 2 sts, knit across sleeve section (27sts)[/color]

i sliped the sts but how do i cast on when the yarn is ont he other end? or did i slip the wrong end?

Hard to say. Where is the marker? How is the whole piece laid out up to this point?

This sounds just like the pattern I am doing right now. After you’ve slipped the stitches onto a scrap piece of yarn, cast on to the right needle. you won’t work those new cast on stitches until you come back around. Just knit the stitches on the left needle until your next marker and continue with the pattern from there.

But it said to slip them onto the right needle. :thinking:

Do you have a link to the pattern, Carmell?

:thinking: Oh yea… I see. That is a quandry. :thinking:

ok i hope this helps

Very perplexing. I think I would see what happens if I knit across those 22 stitches to the sleeves and see what happens. If something doesn’t work out, there’s not too many stitches to unknit.

it does say at the top~~~
[color=green]
**Now is the time to divide things up. If you prefer it, put each section on a separate length of spare yarn.[/color]

i’ll try to find the link.

baby sweater

Now I’ve got a picture in my head.

Either way, you need to attach a new ball of yarn at the sleeves. Whether or not you put the other pieces on extra yarn is up to you. You probably have enough experience at this point to know what’s what and only knit the sleeve stitches, so you could leave them all on the needle and just work the sleeves.

Or at the bottom of the pattern she says this:

**Note. For a totally seamless garment:
Knit across front sts, slip first sleeve sts to a length of spare yarn, cast on 4, knit across back section, slip second sleeve sts to spare yarn, cast on 4, knit across other front. Complete body as given above

This way you put the sleeve stitches on hold and connect the body parts and knit to the bottom. Then you pick up the stitches for the sleeves and work them in the round.

:shock:
ok thanks… i’ll have to read that again, but i think i got it. thank you mame for your help!! :heart:

**Note. For a totally seamless garment:
Knit across front sts, slip first sleeve sts to a length of spare yarn, cast on 4, knit across back section, slip second sleeve sts to spare yarn, cast on 4, knit across other front. Complete body as given above

This way you put the sleeve stitches on hold and connect the body parts and knit to the bottom. Then you pick up the stitches for the sleeves and work them in the round.

That is exactly what my pattern is like for the baby sweater I’m doing. Makes it seamless (yippee!!).

Yes, seamless is the way to go! I just wish patterns would be clear. When they tell you one thing and then at a totally different place in the pattern they explain it–confusion reigns!

is seemless better? cause i don’t understand how to do it.

I like seamless because I don’t like to sew. Period.

What you’ve got on your needles is the front, sleeve, back, sleeve, front.

You knit the front, put the sleeve stitches on hold, co 4, knit the back, put the other sleeve on hold, co 4, knit the front. All the stitches for the body are now on the needle. The tops of the sleeves are above the needle. You’ll continue knitting the body until its done, basically starting from under the armholes and down. Then you’ll pick up the sleeve stitches on dpns and knit those down from the sweater. All you’ll need to do is attach the underarms where you cast on those 4 stitches. Then you’re done–no sewing of sleeve seams.

ohhhh. ok. i think i will try that. cause i don’t like to sew by hand either! and i won’t be nice and neat either!!! thank you!