Knitting the neckline of a sweater!?!

I am a first time knitter and I am working on a child size sweater. I have finished the back side of it up until shaping the neck line and I cant figure out how to do it the instruction are confusing me a little and I would really apretiate some help. :??

Let us know what the instructions are–we’ll be glad to help.

It says both sides of neck are worked at same time, using seperate yarn for each side. Maintain established pattern throughout.

Row 1-Work accross 26 sts, slip 21 sts onto st holder; with second yarn work accross 26sts each side

Row 2-Work accross to within 2 sts of neck edge, K2 tog; with second yarn, slip1 as if to knit, K1, PSSO, work accross: 25 sts each side

Row 3-Work accross to within 2 sts of neck edge, P2 tog; with second yarn, P2 tog, work accross: 24 sts each side

Row 4- Work accross: with second yarn, work accross. Bind of remaining sts

Those middle stitches that you put on a holder are going to be attached to the collar, I imagine. If you don’t have a stitch holder you can lace a piece of extra yarn through them. They are not worked at this time. The stitches you are working are the shoulders.

You need to have each side on a separate ball of yarn since they aren’t attached anymore. Work one side, then drop that yarn and work the other side.

You’re decreasing at each side of the neck edge (the side closest to the stitches on hold) to create a curve around the back of the neck and up the shoulders.

If you follow the directions exactly, you should have no problem.

Ingrid,
:cheering: Thank you very much I would be lost without your help. I am so glad I found this web site and that you responded to my question. :smiley:

:thumbsup:

I am on row2 of the neck shaping and I was hoping for a little more help. It says work yarn accross within 2 sts…I got that part but , “with second yarn, slip 1 as if to knit, K1, PSSO, work accross” is what I’m a little lost on?!?

You work across for the first shoulder, and decrease on the neck edge.

Then, on the other side of the gap for the neck you’ll be doing a decrease at the beginning of that row with the yarn from that side–sl 1, k1, psso.

You slip the first stitch as if to knit, knit the next stitch. Then you put your left needle tip in the stitch you slipped and pass it over the stitch you knit and off the end of the right needle.