Knitting technique clarification

So, I’m basically a mostly self taught knitter. I’ve not knit on a super consistent basis but I do enjoy it quite a bit.

My question is this:

I love to knit with small needles, but I tend to have a problem with keeping the stitches “small” … I’m wondering if this is due to my technique? I want to be a faster knitter so I knit continentally. When you stitch the needle in the stitch and then slip it back out, SHOULD the needles be touching, or do you think it matters if they are not quite touching?

I noticed that when I do keep them touching, my stitches are very tight, but if I don’t, it seems like they might be too loose. I do tension gauges and I use the needles suggested for the weight of the yarn or smaller.

For instance, right now I am knitting DK weight with size 2 circs.

It doesn’t matter when I’m making a blanket but it will when I am making socks - which I intend to do for my husband in the next few days.

Welcome to the forum!
I am a loose knitter so I too tend to work on smaller needles than a pattern or ballband recommends. I slide the needles past each other so they are touching because I can get an even tension that way.
It may matter more that you tension the yarn with your left hand so that after the stitch is formed and slid onto the barrel of the needle, there’s even pressure on the yarn strand.

1 Like

IMO the most important thing is to find your comfort zone with tension and be consistent. As a Continental knitter I find that I have a tendency to let the stitches on the right needle space apart and that can produce looser tension; you might watch and make sure you’re not letting gaps on the right needle mess with your tension. I worked a row this morning English style and my tension was tighter than usual so for me there is a definite difference with knitting styles. Loose knitting shouldn’t be a problem unless you simply can’t get needles small enough for the stitches of a sock to be tight enough and if that happens then you might try working with more tension. As far as knitting fast, some of the fastest knitters hold the yarn in their right hand and it has more to do with experience, personal technique, and aptitude. I can make myself knit faster but then my tension changes and I get to frog sooner.

1 Like

I agree! I started to do what you said - about having the needles touch and it seemed to help! I also noticed that there are different ways to hold the yarn in the left hand - I am trying new techniques out :slight_smile:

I agree about the spacing thing with the right needle. It’s actually quite annoying! English style feels so completely foreign to me that I would need to try really hard to do it without dropping something. I saw the Yarn Harlot knit the Irish Cottage way (is that what she called it?) and it was AMAZING to watch!

I find another thing to help speed is to not think about what you are doing and just get into a rhythm :slight_smile: