Knitting sweater bottom up, CO stitches -HUH?

Hi-
I am knitting a wrap style baby sweater from a vintage pattern of my Grandma’s.

The sweater is knit in one piece from the bottom up.
The pattern is telling me to:
CO 40 sts at the beginning of the next two rows

I have found instructions on how to add stitches at the end of a row, but not at the beginning, I would have to add them to the right needle (???)
Also is knitting from the top down the same as knitting from the bottom up?

I have knitted about 7 inches on size 1 needles, so I really, really don’t want to screw up now!!!

Thanks!
Andie

I always cast on new stitches at the end of the row, and that becomes the beginning of the next row. After you turn the work, just work those new stitches in pattern, work across the stitches on the needle and then cast on at the end of that row, too.

Just use the first stitch to do a knitted on cast on, or work between the first two stitches for a cable cast on, then work across the new stitches you just added and then the original stitches. No, you would be adding them in front of the first stitches on the left hand needle.

Also is knitting from the top down the same as knitting from the bottom up?
I’m not sure what you mean by this question. The knitting itself is the same, but the way the sweater was designed is different. Just follow the directions and you’ll be all right. It’s still just knitting. :slight_smile:

I look forward to seeing your sweater in the gallery when you get it finished.

End of the row/beginning of the row = same thing.

Thanks for the advice!

I watched a video on knitted CO, either here or on YouTube, and all seems well for now.

-Andie