Knitting Row Advice

Hello! I’m new here and have really loved knitting for several years though I only work through patterns. I’ll be honest, I don’t have much technical knowledge of knitting.

I was hoping to get some advice on a pattern I recently bought online. It is a basic ribbed hat and I’m a little stuck. I think the pattern is wrong because I’ve knitted it per instruction twice and I don’t end up with the number of stitches needed.

I have 74 stitches and I need to get to get to 60 stitches through decreasing. It says to *k2, p2tog, k1, p2tog, Repeat from * till end, but P last two st

Do this, I end up with 54 stitches, not the needed 60. I really need to finish this hat but I don’t know what to do.

If anyone could help me I’d really appreciate it. Like I said, my technical knowledge of knitting is not very good and I’m struggling to figure out how to fix the pattern so it works.

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!
It looks like a mistake in the pattern to me. Can you give us a link to the pattern photo or a name for the pattern?
We can’t post large sections of a pattern on the forum but you could exactly quote a row or two. What is the next row or so after this decrease?

Hello!

Thanks for the reply! I took a screen shot of some of the decreasing instructions. It is row 65 that I am having trouble with.

Knitting%20Pattern2

Thank you so much!

Edited: I realized I probably posted too much of the pattern so I cut it down to just three rows. Sorry!

This section of the pattern seems to be completely messed up :frowning:

I managed to get 60 stitches by changing row 65 to: k2, *p2tog, k1, p1, k1 repeat from * until the end, P the last two stitches. This worked great to give me 60 stitches.

But now, the next row doesn’t work out at all! Following the next row (66) going k2, p2, p2tog every 7th and 8th stitch, I get 53 stitches not 52!

This is very frustrating, I bought this pattern because it was supposed to be simple but I’ve now spent hours trying to figure out these decreasing instructions.

So frustrating. Since you paid for the pattern, notify the designer of the problem. He or she should provide support for patterns.
Usually, these hats in 2x2 rib start decreasing by k2tog every so many ribs. The next decrease row is p2tog every so many ribs. Often the intervening rows are knit without decreases but maybe your pattern decreases every row.
In later decrease rows, the remaining ribs are decreased in a similar manner. In all cases, keep to the pattern as you see it, i.e. knit the Vs and purl the bumps.

Thank you so much for the response! I really appreciate the help because this has been stressing me out.

I was hoping I could ask for one last piece of advice. Since this is a present for someone, and the first hat I’ve knitted, I’m not entirely comfortable winging it. I looked up some basic decreasing patterns for 2x2 ribbed hats and found this one on reddit:

"Rnd 1: K2, P2tog (repeat all the way around)

Rnd 2: K2, P1

Rnd 3: K2tog, P1

Rnd 4: K1, P1

Rnd 5: K2tog

Rnd 6: Knit

Once you get down to all knit stitches, just keep alternating Rnd 5 and 6 until you have about 6 stitches left."

This seems very easy, certainly better then what I’ve been trying to figure out, but its decreasing rounds for a hat knitted in the round. Would it work for mine which I’m knitting flat?

Sorry for the trouble, but thanks so much for the advice!

Yes, that basic idea will work for hats knit flat too. The even rows (the ones on the inside of the hat) will be reversed, knits will become purls and purls become knits. if you work the even rows as you see then, knit the Vs and purl the bumps, you’ll be fine.

Thank you! I took your advice and the hat turned out great. My brother loved it :slight_smile:

1 Like