Knitting Questions

Hi.:grinning:I was wondering what does pi mean?:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Also what does circumference ,diameter and height mean like for a hat for example?:thinking:
What does they mean when they say a multiple of 5 + 2" .?
Any help would be nice.
Thanks.

Is it relation to gauge? It might be “per inch.” Usually it’s SPI which is stitches per inch.

Circumference is how big around the hat is. The average hat is probably 20-22". If you’re making up your own pattern measure the head and do a swatch to figure out your stitches per inch over 4 inches.

The 2 makes the pattern design work. So to calculate your cast on you’d only that the +2 once. Because it’s a multiple of 5 the cast on would be 5, 10, 15 etc and then add 2.

Hi Jan.How does the 2 make the design work does a person have to use it?does the 2 mean 2 sts?What does a multiple of 5 mean?What does multiple of numbers mean?

If you’re doing K2P2 on a flat piece it will be multiples of 4+2 so it will start with a K2 and end with a K2.

You don’t have to do anything but you can figure there’s a reason something is written as it is. You should know why you’re changing something before changing it.
For instance if you are changing a K2P2 flat piece to round you would leave off the +2 so it will flow into the beginning of the next round.

I don’t remember how I changed it but I had a continual cable panel that I changed to knit in the round so it is continual all around the sweater. I may have just taken off the +X or I may have cut some of the multiple to get where both sides would match up to each other. Then I used that multiple to come close to my sweater size. Then adjusted needle size to fine tune it.

Multiple is a math term. 12 is a multiple of 4, 4 multiplied 3 times is 12.

1 Like

As Mike said whether you add the +2 or not depends on the method of knitting and the pattern. If the pattern or stitch says to do that I wouldn’t change it unless you are also changing the method (IE from flat to in the round). If you’re a new knitter I suggest you stick to both the knitting method and pattern suggestions till you know what your’e doing so you’ll have less errors and frogging.

Also as Mike said multiples is a math term. A multiple of 5 is 5, 10, 15, 20 etc. A multiple of 7 is 7, 14, 21, etc.