Knitting pattern not in rows?

Hello,

I’m a complete noob to knitting so thanks for your patience if I’m just being a stupid idiot o_0

Basically I have this knitting pattern and I’ve mastered the different stitches, casting on off, knitting together etc. I just can’t work out this pattern!! It seems to make no sense of the English language let alone numbers adding up :confused:

It goes (this part is for the body of a reindeer by the way):
a. Using coffee wool to cast on 15 stitches, then make 15 purl stitches. (With you so far).
b. After make 4 knit stitches, make 1 knit in front and back. Repeat the step 3 times, the total 18 stitches.
c. Follow the same steps until the total stitches count 33.
d. Make 33 knit stitches, then make 33 purl stitches, repeat 3 times.
e. After make 9 knit stitches, make 1 knit next 2 stitches together.
f. Follow the same steps until the total stitches count 18.
g. After knitting 18 stitches, cast off.

The Internet naturally is of no help, only explaining how to follow rows (which would be fantastic here!!)

Thank you!!! :muah:

Welcome to KnittingHelp and knitting!

I can see how the instructions could get confusing if you’re new to this whole business. Heck - I’m confused myself after trying to write out the instructions!

Do you have a link to the pattern that we can see? I’m not sure if this is in stockinette or garter or both and it would help to see it. I can easily write out the rows for you (although, always a good exercise to try yourself) but they aren’t working out for me and I’d like to see the finished object to ensure I’ve got them right.

I’m scratching my head too, but think they mean:

1. Cast on 15 stitches (I bet they were thinking long-tail cast-on.) Purl across (that would put the cast-on “right side out” if you know what I mean.)
  2. K4, kfb, k4, kfb, k4, kfb, k to end=18 sts.
  3. If you turn and work the next row as an increase, it would even out the increases across the rows, but I’d purl it and pfb instead of knitting if it’s supposed to be in stockinette. See what it looks like.
    You’re going to repeat the increase row five more times–21, 24, 27, 30 and 33 stitches. Each time, you’re going to need to add a stitch to each group: k5, then on the next repeat k6, etc.
  4. Work 6 rows even in stockinette stitch.
  5. K9, k2tog, k9, k2tog, k9, k2tog, k to end.
  6. k8, and so on, if it’s supposed to be in garter stitch, or purl if it’s supposed to be stockinette. When you get down to k4, k2tog, you should be ready to cast off at the end of the row.

I’m with you, though–it looks as if the designer wasn’t thinking in English.

Because row 1 is Purl across 15 stitches, row 2 is the first increase row and there are 6 rows of stockinette stitch in between the increase rows (from 15 to 33 stitches) and the decrease rows (33 to 18 stitches) my hunch is that the whole piece is worked in stockinette stitch and row 1 should read:

Row 1 (and every following odd row): Purl all stiches.

If so, this would mean the shaping would be done only on the knit (even numbered) rows.

Reading the word ‘make’ as either ‘knit’ or ‘work’ does make the instructions easier to follow (except for the instruction in stage e: ‘make 1 knit next 2 stitches together’ which is read as 'dec 1 knit next 2 …)

It’s a physical thing that I bought, it’s just instructions on a piece of paper. It’s for the body of a toy reindeer, the picture is on the front of the box…

Hope that helps. It’s supposed to be for ages 8+ too… :help:

Thanks everyone else for your help, also!

That is adorable! And Dclutterchique is on the right track as far as the instructions. I think we were missing one purl row at the beginning. I had originally written it to repeat rows 1 and 2, but that didn’t work with the instructions for after the increase rows, so have added a purl row in as row 3.

Row 1 (WS): Purl
Row 2 (RS): (K4, kfb) three times, knit to end - 18 stitches
Row 3: Purl
Repeat rows 2 and 3 until you have 33 stitches
(Which would be as follows:
Row 4: (K4, kfb) three times, knit to end - 21 stitches
Row 5: Purl
Row 6: (K4, kfb) three times, knit to end - 24 stitches
Row 7: Purl
Row 8: (K4, kfb) three times, knit to end - 27 stitches
Row 9: Purl
Row 10: (K4, kfb) three times, knit to end - 30 stitches
Row 11: Purl
Row 12: (K4, kfb) three times, knit to end - 33 stitches
Row 13: Purl

Row 14: Knit
Row 15: Purl
Repeat two more times (So rows 16-19.)

Row 20: K9, k2tog, knit to end - 32 stitches
Repeat row 20 until you have 18 stitches remaining

Thank you so much, this makes perfect sense now!! Not the best start to what will hopefully be my new hobby but I will not be deterred! :woohoo: :knitting: