Knitting Newbie Needs Ideas/Help

Hi all!

I’ve just started learning how to knit! It’s been great fun so far, and I’d like to show off my new (yet highly limited) skills by making a few simple knit ornaments or something for my family for Christmas.

The catch is, I’m no whiz at this just yet. I know the basics - knit/purl/cast on/bind off - but all I’ve made are a lovely collection of squares and the beginnings of a scarf. I get confused reading pattern instructions, and the idea of doing something like a hat (which I really want to do) scares the heck out of me! :?

If anyone can offer up some advice or easy patterns to get started with, I’d sure appreciate it! By the way - the videos on this site have been a lifesaver! I purchased a book on knitting, but I never got the hang of doing a purl stitch until I actually SAW it. Thanks! :hug:

If you haven’t already, check out the free patterns tab at this website. Amy has all of the patterns categorized as beginner/intermediate/advanced. There are christmas ornament patterns there as well as lots of hats, many of them rated beginner.

What are you talking about
you know a LOT of what most of us know
throw in a yarn over, and you will be where I was last month, and I just learned to make cables
oh, and have you increaded or decreased a stitch yet?
thats not so hard, just make some yarn balls for kids and animals to play With and you will be a PRO
not that your nt already
you are doing great
keep comming back here, we are (well, I am) always around

ecb

Sierra,

I just wanted to encourage you. I’m a fairly new knitter who picked up a how-to book at the store this summer and have been going at it ever since.

The book has wonderful pictures for various stitches as well as patterns interspersed throughout. I started with a simple dishcloth. I then completed the bathroom rug (pattern in the book I bought) and then attempted (and completed) two hand towels to match the bathroom rug. I saw the handtowels at a yarn store and bought the book just to have the pattern! I just finished a fairly easy cell phone cozy (although I still had to have some help from the wonderful people on this board).

Every time I select a pattern, I puposely select one that has new stitches so that I can teach myself slowly without getting totally overwhelmed. I make sure to complete each project (coming here for advice). I know that I will not be attempting anything wearable as gauge seems to be my biggest problem right now.

Good luck!!

Nathalie

My main problem right now (I think) is how I’m handling the yarn. My stitches tend to be uneven - from too tight (which is what I tend to do by default), or too loose, when I try to loosen up and not make them too tight. Anyone have tips for consistency?

Thanks for the replies so far - I appreciate the encouragement! I get frustrated easily, and keep starting projects and ripping them out. For some reason I have the feeling I’m doing something else wrong, but I’m not sure what. Each stitch requires a lot of concentration and effort… maybe I’m overthinking it? :wink:

Practice, practice, practice. Really.

Thanks for the replies so far - I appreciate the encouragement! I get frustrated easily, and keep starting projects and ripping them out. For some reason I have the feeling I’m doing something else wrong, but I’m not sure what. Each stitch requires a lot of concentration and effort… maybe I’m overthinking it? :wink:

Probably, most new knitters do. Just relax and enjoy it and your stitches will probably even out too.

sue

Just knit in a way that feels comfortable to you. Get into a pattern, and you’ll find it gets much smoother after a few rows. (Of course, if you’re getting a tension/gauge of something crazy like 165325462346686865260453 stitches per inch with bulky yarn, you may need to rethink your technique, but if your finished fabric feels too stiff, just go up a needle size.)

Do you have access to a knitting group? Your local yarn shop (LYS) might have a time when people can just come in and ask questions or talk and knit. Mine has a monthly knit-night where people bring food and knitting and just hang out and knit. Being around other knitters is always encouraging.

I was also going to suggest going to your local yarn store. We don’t have a yarn store where I live, but I always look for them when I travel with my children to their soccer tournaments. I’ve taken my projects into a couple of beautiful stores and gotten “mini lessons” from the staff. Everyone I’ve met is more than happy to share their expertise.

Good luck!!

Nathalie

Thanks everyone for the advice. I’ve been practicing, and getting better and more consistent! :slight_smile:

Quick question though - last night I almost finished one of the Christmas bell ornaments from a pattern on this site. It’s turning out nicely, but what kind of stitch should I use to sew the cast-on and bind-off edges together? Is there a certain technique to this?