Knitting my first jumper...confused.

Hello Everyone, I am new here so if this isn’t where this is supposed to go please forgive me.

I have been knitting for a couple of years now, mostly blankets, but decided to try a jumper for my daughter. I have to get this right because I am supposed to be making one for my son as well. Lol.
There is a part of the pattern that I am stuck on and not sure how to continue. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

The pattern reads:

Change to larger needles and proceed in stocking st inc 1 st each end of needle on 3rd (5th- 5th) and following 4th (6th-6th) rows to 47 (71-74) sts.
Size 2 only: Inc 1 st each end of needle on every following 6th row to 57 sts.
All sizes: Cont even until Sleeve from beg measures 9½ (11½-13) ins [18 (29-33) cm], ending with RS facing for next row.

What size are you making so that i know what row the increases occur on.

Thank you for your reply. This is the pattern: https://www.allfreeknitting.com/Childrens-Knit-Sweaters/Crayon-Crewneck-from-Patons

The part that I am stuck on is: (Sleeves) - Change to larger needles and proceed in stocking st inc 1 st each end of needle on 3rd (5th- 5th) and following 4th (6th-6th) rows to 47 (71-74) sts.
Size 2 only: Inc 1 st each end of needle on every following 6th row to 57 sts.

Measurements:

Chest Measurement:

2 yrs     22 ins [56 cm ]
4 yrs     24 ins [61 cm ]
6 yrs     26 ins [66 cm ]

Finished Chest:

2 yrs     27 ins [68.5 cm ]
4 yrs     29 ins [73.5 cm ]
6 yrs     32 ins [81 cm ]

I am using the 4 yrs.
Thank you again!

The way I interpret the instructions is that the increasr should be done on rows 5, 11, 16, 22, 27, 33, 38, 44, 49, 55, 60, 66, and 71. Hope this helps.

Since the pattern says “inc 1 st each end of needle on 3rd (5th- 5th) and following 4th (6th-6th) rows”, the increases are on row 5 and then every 6th row thereafter.
The stitch number goes from 47 to 71 so there are 24sts increased and only 12 increase rows

So the increases are on row 5 and then every 6th row (rows 11,17,23,29,35,41,47,53,59,65,71}. That’ll put all the increases on odd number rows as well…

Cute pattern!

Thank you very much for the replies.

What about the Size 2 only part? At first I was thinking - is it the 2 yrs=size 1, 4 yrs=size 2, and 6 yrs=size 3? So am I suppose to forget the first part of the sleeves and just do the size 2 part if I am following the 4 yrs pattern?

I feel like an eejit. Lol.

Thank you again for the replies.

Size 2 is for the two year size. If you’re making the 4 year size, you can ignore it. Enjoy finishing up the sweater and post of photo when you finish. We’d love to see it.

Thank you so much. That does make sense. Thank you again.

Sorry inthememory for the miss interpretation i am glad that #salmonmac chimed in and corrected my error.

No worries at all. No one ever stops learning. Sometimes reading others pattern can get confusing and a wee bit overwhelming, which I think is what happened to me. I had a duh moment. Lol.

Thank you for your chiming in, you did help me understand a bit more.

Thank you for your kind words.