Knitting method poll

Here is a question…

Continental-er here.

You’re from New Haven? I used to live in Ft. Wayne. Small world!

I learned to crochet many years ago and held the yarn in my left hand so when I started knitting I did that, too (continental). HOWEVER, I was just not comfortable with it especially when purling so I tried english and after a little learning period I’ve become very comfortable with it.

English, although I did try continental last night and got meself into a right curfuffle.

I’d love to do continental - it looks so smooth and fun to do. I’ll try again one day!

I learned the English style, but since I crocheted forever before I knitted, it just made more sense to learn how to knit Continental, and I have been doing it that way for about 3 years (been knitting for 4). Like Amy says, it is the fastest when going from knit to purl stitches.

I knit Welsh…

I taught myself from a book and ended up doing a left-handed English type thing even though I’m right-handed. So I learned Continental a few months ago and never looked back! Tons faster than what I was doing previously, and the tension is much better.

I knit continental. :smiley:

I knit continental. I’ve tried knitting English, but continental is just so much faster and easier for me.

I’m a combination–I knit continental, but I throw the yarn when I purl. Isn’t it cool that we can all do it however we want and still get the same results? I love that! :slight_smile:

:??

combination knitting (for more than 45 years.) before ann modisett and all the other wrote about it.

i knew it for years as Spanish, and Latvian… since the only other i knew who knit like me were Spanish and Latvian… (thank god i live in NYC where there is such a melting pot, i actually got to know spanards and latvians!)

:??[/quote]

Yeah, that’s kinda the reaction i had when i first found out, always considered myself an English knitter, but i hold my right needle from underneath, like a pencil, which is apparently the ‘welsh’ way of knitting… just a slight variation on English.

Great timing…

I currently knit English, but just tonight started watching Amy’s videos to learn to knit Continental. Oy! It’s so frustrating!!! But, I’ve only been knitting since June. I’ve been reading the how-to board, and every time I read a post that contains something about a stitch or type of knitting (ex. double knitting) I’m unfamiliar with, I try to find out what exactly the person is talking about.

Well, in the process, I think I’m discovering that Continental may be easier for some stitches down the road. So…I feel like I’m starting all over again. :hair:

How many of you switched from English to Continental? How long did it take you to make the transition?

I knit English. I might try continental one day, but I’m perfectly satisfied with this style for now. :muah:

I can knit continental, but as for switching, that’ll never happen…

I knit English and have no intention of switching, either. :teehee:

:??[/quote]

Yeah, that’s kinda the reaction i had when i first found out, always considered myself an English knitter, but i hold my right needle from underneath, like a pencil, which is apparently the ‘welsh’ way of knitting… just a slight variation on English.[/quote]

Oh! My first knitting teacher tried to get us to knit that way. It was way to awkward for me. :teehee: I didn’t realize it had a different name.

Totally English knitter here. I’ve tried to switch to conti, but I just can’t do it!

I learned English, but after watching Knitty Gritty, the Continental looked so efficient I’ve switched to it. It is very fast to rib. Hard to get the tension just right at first, but getting better. Have you noticed how many different ways that people hold their yarn?