Knitting looms

I recently purchased a set of looms from Walmart. (The brand is Boyer) I am wanting to make a hat, which calls for a 41 peg loom, but when I count the pegs I only counted 40 pegs. Does the anchor peg count? Or do I need a different loom? The 41st peg is important so I don’t knit a rib stitch instead of the seed stitch.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!
Most of us knit with needles but there are a few loom knitters. They’re the best ones to answer your question.
@WhampusKitty
@Daz
@tattfae

If they are the Boye looms, with the hooked shape to the head of each peg, then you may find them difficult. Most people prefer the smooth headed pegs. 41 is also the usual number of pegs on the largest of those large gauge loom sets, so most patterns work wth that. The anchor peg can’t be used for knitting so you would need a different pattern for your even number of pegs. The even number works for any 1x1 or 2x2 pattern - like 1 purl x 1 knit ribbing. Sounds like you realize that though.

With the difficulty many people have with the hooked heads, and the even peg number, perhaps you could just return the Boye? I belong to a loom knitting group on Ravelry. Everyone in the group is very helpful and friendly, and we have some 23 pages of loom statistics, beginner patterns, tips and tricks…The members include many designers of patterns as well.

https://www.ravelry.com/account/login

You may already know this, but the type of loom you bought is just one of very many. Other looms will work with much finer gauges of yarn and can be adjustable instead of having a fixed number of pegs. The large gauge looms can be a good starting point, but if you already know knitting then you might be happier with one of the finer gauges.

Here’s a direct link to the loom knitting group, once you are signed in:

https://www.ravelry.com/groups/loom-knitters

I am dazzleguts in the Rav loom forum. Hope to see you there Histoknitty. :^)

1 Like

If they are the Boye looms, with the hooked shape to the head of each peg, then you may find them difficult. Most people prefer the smooth headed pegs. 41 is also the usual number of pegs on the largest of those large gauge loom sets, so most patterns work wth that. The anchor peg can’t be used for knitting so you would need a different pattern for your even number of pegs. The even number works for any 1x1 or 2x2 pattern - like 1 purl x 1 knit ribbing. Sounds like you realize that though.

With the difficulty many people have with the hooked heads, and the even peg number, perhaps you could just return the Boye? I belong to a loom knitting group on Ravelry. Everyone in the group is very helpful and friendly, and we have some 23 pages of loom statistics, beginner patterns, tips and tricks…The members include many designers of patterns as well.

https://www.ravelry.com/account/login

You may already know this, but the type of loom you bought is just one of very many. Other looms will work with much finer gauges of yarn and can be adjustable instead of having a fixed number of pegs. The large gauge looms can be a good starting point, but if you already know knitting then you might be happier with one of the finer gauges.

Here’s a direct link to the loom knitting group, once you are signed in:

https://www.ravelry.com/groups/loom-knitters

I am dazzleguts in the Rav loom forum. Hope to see you there Histoknitty. :^)

1 Like

Thank you so much, Daz! I appreciate it! :slight_smile: would you happen to know where I would be able to find the 41 peg loom? I’ve looked at the craft stores, but they are all labeled by the circumference instead of the number of pegs. I will be checking out ravelry in a few minutes :smile: thanks again! :slight_smile:

I found my round looms in a local thrift store. Mine are the Knifty Knitter (KK) brand. Knifty Knitter isn’t around any more, but there are other labels making basically the same looms. Darice and Loops & Threads are both making KK style looms with the original peg #s. Loops & Threads is a Michaels brand so you can find them there. I am in Canada so if you are in some other area of the world I don’t know your craft stores. You may want to know that in these sets the largest loom and one of the mid size looms have odd peg #s, while the smallest and other mid size loom are even peg #s.

This information, and much more is on our loom comparison page in the Ravelry loom group. Once you are in the group just click on the tab at the top of the page that says 23 pages and find Loom Comparison in the list. You can join the group by clicking on the button to the top right that says “join this group”. Scroll down to the discussions area and you can introduce yourself to the group in the Welcome thread.

Rav is a definite rabbit hole, especially when you first start looking around. It has literally millions of users and thousands of groups. You are warned. ;^)

There are a lot of looms on the loom page so it may look a bit overwhelming. Since there is so much to pick from you may want to do research before buying many looms, to be sure you get what’s right for you. What you want to make, and what size yarn you prefer, should determine which looms you get in future. Ask us lots of questions as I wouldn’t want you to waste your money. Some people have large collections, but I just have the round KK looms and a few adjustable ones in smaller gauges. They are enough for what I want to do.

See you in Ravelry. :^)

1 Like