Knitting "justina" from Norah Gaughan vol 1 Berrocco and I need help!

Hi there,
What a wonderful idea!
I am attempting my first skirt project “justina” by Norah Gaughan and I am having some difficulty. I have attempted the eyelet pattern twice now and think I am doing something wrong …not just sure what though!
There are 200 stitches…
row 11 directions are: k2, k2tog, (yo) twice, ssk, rep from * to last 2 sts, k2.
row 12 directions are: k2, p1, k1, p2, rep from * to last 2 sts, k2.

I am assuming that yo twice means that I wrap the yarn twice round before knitting the stitch, creating 2 new stitches rather than 1.
I have 4 sts left at the end of row 11 rather than 2…
and when I have knit row 12, there is no consistency in the stitches …sometimes, I am knitting the yo stitches, sometimes, I am purling them …which isn’t working and it looks uneven.

Any suggestions. …
Thanks. :slight_smile:

You should have the same number of sts you started with even with a dbl YO, there’s 2 decs per pattern repeat. The p1, k1 on R 12 should be going into the 2 YO loops and the p2 into the sts left by the ssk and k2tog. I’m thinking the * that you repeat from is before the k2tog? So you k2 * k2tog, yo yo ssk, repeat. Should work out, you might be forgetting a couple decs along the way. Look at the beginning of the row and go through the pattern - k2, 2tog, O, O, ssk, 2 tog, O, O, ssk and see if you forgot something.

Thanks. To clarify…
row 11: *k2, k2tog, (yo)twice, ssk, rep from * to last 2 sts, k2
and row 12: *k2, p1, k1, p2, rep from * to last 2sts, k2
…do you think that there is an error in the pattern?
The second time around, I wrote out the pattern and crossed off each sts as I went along …what do you think? :slight_smile:

I wrote:

The p1, k1 on R 12 should be going into the 2 YO loops and the p2 into the sts left by the ssk and k2tog.

And that’s wrong. The p1 on r 12 will be going into the ssk st, k1 into the YO loop, then p2 over the next YO loop and the k2tog st.

Okay, I see where the repeat is… and I did a simple chart with K O and P and it looks like it should work out. The double YO will have a k into one and p into the other on the next row.

Take some other yarn and needles and CO 20 sts, k a couple rows then do row 11 and 12. Should work out the same as the longer row. Once you see what it’s supposed to look like you shouldn’t have a problem.

yes, I am doing the k2 as part of the repeat. The pattern reads:

11: *k2, k2tog, (yo) twice, ssk, rep from * to last 2 sts, k2.
12: *k2, p1, k1, p2, rep from * to last 2 sts, ks

…shall I try eliminating the k2 in the repeat? …perhaps the row 11 shoud read
11: k2, *k2tog, (yo) twice, ssk, rep from * to last 2 sts, k2.

I will also count the sts after I have done row 11 and see if there are still 200 stitches.

Thank you again …really appreciate your patience. :slight_smile:

I keep editing my replies…

If the repeat is supposed to include the k2, don’t take it out. It should work out with it in there. Make a small sample with other yarn and see how the sts lie, including the k2.

oh dear …ok, I cast on 20 stitches, knit a couple of rows and then did the following:
k2, k2tog, yo twice (wrapped the yard twice, rather than once), ssk.
Repeated k2, k2tog, yo twice, ssk
repeated k2, k2tog, yo twice and have only 1 stitch left to knit the ssk.
…I have counted the stitches and there are now 21. hmmm. I am stumped.

i think i got it …when I knit the YO twice am wrapping the yarn over twice and then knitting a single stitch and then doing the ssk …should I just wrap the yarn twice, then do the ssk and leave out the single stitch?
(I’m trying it now…)

YES! It worked!!! I see where I went wrong …I was adding a knitted stitch after I wrapped the yarn over twice …
Thanks for the suggestion of making a smaller sample first!!! I have been ripping apart 200 stitches and then doing it all over again …tired arms! haha.
THANK YOU so much again!!! : )

Ahh yes, a knit stitch is never part of a yo, it’s separate. The YO is just wrapping the needles.

Doing a smaller sample of a stitch repeat can really help; you get to the end of the row faster and can usually figure out what went wrong. Glad you got it figured out.