Knitting instructions

k3, yo, k4, [(k2tog)x3, (yo, k1)x6, (k2tog)x3]x3, k4,yo, sm,k1
repeat from * to *, k3
Confused by the bracket/braces , parentheses and asterisks…

Do I do the parenthetical part 3 times in a row, then knit 4 then yo knit 4… Perhaps overthinking it…

Thanks !
Julie

k3, yo, k4, [(k2tog)x3, (yo, k1)x6, (k2tog)x3]x3, k4,yo , sm,k1
repeat from * to *, k3
Confused by the bracket/braces , parentheses and asterisks.
The short answer is yes.
With a pattern like this I usually write it out long hand and I would add markers between each repeat, possibly different colors for the different bracket repeats.
k3, *yo, k4, Place a Marker [(k2tog, 3 times), (yo, k1, 6 times), (k2tog, 3 times) Place a Marker, 24sts between markers in ( ) brackets. Repeat everything between the [ ] brackets 3 times 96sts. Place a Marker, because now you have to repeat everything from *yo, k4 to k4,yo, then the last 4sts are, sm is usually slip marker but check your pattern abbreviations, k1, k3.
Take your time at least for the first row to get comfortable with the pattern then enjoy, it will produce a very nice lace pattern.

1 Like

It’s a little difficult to be sure of the italics (the program here reads asterisks as indicating italics) but it looks to me like the following using bold text to replace the asterisks. If that’s not right, just let us know.
k3, yo, k4, [(k2tog)x3, (yo, k1)x6, (k2tog)x3]x3, k4,yo , sm,k1
repeat from * to *, k3

I agree with flknit5 that writing it all out the first time through makes this easier.
k3
yo, k4,
[k2tog x 3
(yo, k1), (yo, k1), (yo, k1), (yo, k1), (yo, k1), (yo, k1),
k2tog x 3]
repeat the above section in brackets [ ] 3x
k4, yo,

sm, k1

yo, k4,
[k2tog x 3
(yo, k1), (yo, k1), (yo, k1), (yo, k1), (yo, k1), (yo, k1),
k2tog x 3]
repeat the section in brackets 3x
k4, yo

k3

1 Like

Thank you so much!! I was definitely overthinking this… :slight_smile:

Thank you so much!! I was definitely overthinking this… I see what you mean about writing it out :slight_smile: