Knitting in the round

I want to try and start circular knitting so I went out and bought the needles but there is a problem which I hope is easy to fix lol. I am finding it extremely difficult to begin casting on and starting because of the connecting chord and the way it was packaged. The chord is looping in the middle and getting in the way and it will not straighten out. Is there a way to get it all straightened out or will it fix itself?

Run very warm water over the cord to soften it up. Then place the cord, straight, under a phone book for a few minutes while it cools off. If it’s the first time out of the bag, it may take a round or two of warming it up and straightening it out, but you should be able to get it to cooperate eventually. Once it has been in use for a while, it won’t curl up as badly, either.

Thanks for the help! :slight_smile:

The brand of the needle also makes a difference. Some brands are better than others for the cable. I have a red heart 16inch cable I use for sleeves, and it is crap. The cable still curls under and around in an annoying way, but it’s not AS stiff as it was the first time I used it, so it’s not as annoying.

But use the trick Ladybug suggested and it should definitely take the stubbornness out of the cable. :slight_smile:

A lot of the craft store brands tend to do that. You can try the hot water method and see if it works for you. Eventually you may want to go for some better needles though. There is a sticky post at the top of the general forum for interchangeables and people have commented about them as well.

I personally have to boil mine, put them under books, then hang then up for a day or so suspended on the wall from a nail or tack before they will knit properly.