Knitting in the round

Not exactly certain how to do garter stitch in the round. Was thinking it might be a row of knit, then a row of purl?, but not sure. Thanks guys

Hi Max,

That is correct.

Oh good! Thank you for responding :slightly_smiling_face:

Yep, you got it: simply alternate knitting and purling each round. (I generally like to start with a purl round if I’ve already done a knitwise longtail cast on, just to be in more in keeping with that pattern, but that could just be my preference…) Do also realize that there will be a jog in the work wherever you start and end each round, so you’ll have to position that in a place where it won’t bother you (or perhaps figure out some kind of trick to hide it a bit?).

If you mean I will either have 2 purl next to each other or 2 knit, since I am using Rico essence dk cotton, which is not a yarn that shows much

Definition, It may be fine, we’ll have to see and because this is a cowl, I may be able to turn it under a tad and put a close running stitch thru it.

I always look at this little cheat sheet to make sure that i’m doing everything correctly in the round. My very first sock pattern didn’t mention anything about stitches working differently in the round and I ended up accidentally doing the whole thing in garter stitch instead of stockinette!!

Thanks for the tips Kayla :slight_smile:

T. Keane