Knitting in the round question

Okay, I’ve knitted in the round on dpn’s successfully before, but this time I’m having major issues. I’m knitting socks using Paton’s Stretch Socks yarn. First time using this yarn. When I join the rounds I knit the first two stitches tight to make a solid join, yet by the time I’ve knit around all of the needles there is a 1/2 inch gap that has developed. I’ve never had this happen before, and I realize this is stretchy yarn, which is why I’m pulling those first two stitches so tight. Any suggestions would be a real help! This is supposed to be relaxing!

I’ve heard that pulling yarn tight can make things worse, and maybe that’s even more true with elastic yarn. There’s a couple things you can try when joining to snug up the first and last sts without pulling on your yarn -
After you cast on, swap the first and last sts - put them on the other needles so they cross.
Cast on an extra, slip the first one in the first round, then at the end of the round knit or purl the last st tog with the slipped st.

Thanks for the suggestions! I’m going to try that tonight.

Some people like to knit 2 rows flat, then join. Use the yarn tail to close up the gap.