Knitting in the round or not?

I found a pattern in the Sweater Workshop book that I wanted to knit. He calls for #5 circular needles for this hat. Everytime I have knitted a hat, I wouldn’t knit in the round and it would have a seam in it, of course. Now, I thought I was doing this one right and looked up how to knit in the round. Well, reading further, it says something about the seam, so now I guess I have to knit on DP’s when I start decreasing. How do you know for sure if it is knitting in the round or not with circular needles?:shrug:

How do you know for sure if it is knitting in the round or not with circular needles?

There are instances when the circ ndls are used to work flat because of their length (ie the width of an afghan) where straights are too short. Or you might work the body of a pullover on circs…ITR…but then go to working flat once you get to the armholes. Normally there’s no seaming when truly working ITR.

Using dpns is when the circumference is too small to allow for circ ndls (altho you have the option to do a form of Magic Loop). I opt for dpns when down to fewer sts. Feels more manageable.

A hat can be worked with circs and dpns…no seams…start to finish.

cam

Thanks, I don’t know why they said circular when the circulars they call for are just 16". I wish they would say right from the start whether it is in the round or flat. Thank you for the information.

If you keep knitting round and round without turning the work or any break in the work you’re knitting in the round.

The seam may be the one at the very top to close the top of the hat.

If it’s 16" circulars, it probably is for knitting in the round, but you’d need dpns or a longer one (or use 2) circs for the top shaping when the number of stitches don’t fit on the needles any more. But you could knit in the round to that point, then maybe begin knitting flat and seam it.

It’s usually very easy to tell if a pattern is meant to be worked in the round or not. Simply read through the pattern instructions.
If you see things like ROW 1: ROW 2: ROW 3:
that means it is worked flat in ROWS
if you see things like ROUND 1: RND 2: RND 3:
that means it is worked on circulars or DPNs in rounds

Are you talking about the book by Fee, pg 223, the Mushroom Cap? If so-- the pattern IS confusing! It is knit in the round-- so the reference to “the seamline” is a bit odd. So just follow the directions as they are. You DO want to place a marker at the point where the rounds begin and end, just to be able to keep track of that.

That is exactly the cap I am knitting. So, won’t I still have to put it on DPN’s when are start decreasing?

You might have to switch over to two circulars or dpn’s if the top gets too tight. I like to use a ‘magic loop’ for the whole hat so that it works the whole way through.

Some patterns just let you get to a certain point and then use a length of yarn to sew through and then pull the top, like a string bag.