Knitting in the round... badly

So…

I am very new to knitting, and am attempting my first hat which is also my first time knitting in the round. I brilliantly also chose a pattern that has an awesome lace effect and is requiring that I learn new stitches. The problem is that now that I’m at the lace part, I’m finishing a round at an odd place in the pattern and I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

For example, the last round I did was supposed to be as follows:

*p1, k7, k2tog, k2, yo, k2, p1, k2, yo, k2, ssk, k7, rep. from * to end rnd

It was all well and good except that when I had one more stitch before my stitch marker signalling the end of that round, I was supposed to be doing the ssk portion… but I only had one more stitch. It seems like I should have ended after the second k7 chunk. Any thoughts or suggestions?

At this point, I’m wondering if I should knit through the ssk and k7 and then start the pattern for the next row/round. Or scrap it and go back to the first chunk in this section of the pattern and try again.

Thanks for any help and suggestions you might offer!

Hi and welcome to KH!
Sounds like a pretty pattern. No wonder you wanted to make it.
The repeat takes 28sts so you could put in markers every 28sts to keep yourself on track. Use a different color from the end of round marker.
Make sure that you’re doing each of the stitches correctly. The yarn over doesn’t use up a stitch. You move the yarn to the front between the needles, then over the right hand needle to the back. That’s it.
You might try out the pattern on a 28stitch swatch just to make sure that you have it all worked out.

Stitch markers are a great idea, I’ll have to go get more of them.

I grabbed another set of needles and a variegated yarn so I could more easily identify where I might be messing up, did another attempt and ended up with the same problem. I have the correct stitch count at the end, but I finished at an ssk instead of a knit stitch. I must be losing it!

A short length of yarn tied in a loop makes a great stitch marker, small rubber bands, anything that won’t snag your work and fits on a needle will serve.

Are you ending each repeat with ssk or just at the end of the round?

Hmm, how many sts do you cast on? Can you give us a link to the pattern?

I can definitely use some other yarn for a stitch marker, can’t believe I didn’t think of that! Thanks!

Re: The repeat, the repeat is supposed to end with a bunch of knit stitches. When I get to the end of the round, I’m ending with an ssk, when I’m pretty sure it should be another bunch of knit stitches.

I can’t link the pattern because it’s behind a pay wall, but I’ll post the relevant chunks of it.

CO 96 stitches

Ribbing:
Row1: * p1, k2, p2, k3, p2, k2, rep from * to end of rnd
Repeat 11 more times

Increase round:
Row13: * p1, k4, m1k, k3, m1k, k4, rep from * to end of rnd
(After increase it should be 112 stitches)

Lace pattern:
Row1: *p1, k9, k2tog, k2, yo, p1, yo, k2, ssk, k9, rep. from * to end rnd
Row2: *p1, k8, k2tog, k2, yo, k1, p1, k1, yo, k2, ssk, k8, rep. from * to end rnd
Row3: *p1, k7, k2tog, k2, yo, k2, p1, k2, yo, k2, ssk, k7, rep. from * to end rnd
Row4: *p1, k6, k2tog, k2, yo, k3, p1, k3, yo, k2, ssk, k6, rep. from * to end rnd
Row5: *p1, k5, k2tog, k2, yo, k4, p1, k4, yo, k2, ssk, k5, rep. from * to end rnd
Row6: *p1, k4, k2tog, k2, yo, k5, p1, k5, yo, k2, ssk, k4, rep. from * to end rnd
Row7: *p1, k3, k2tog, k2, yo, k6, p1, k6, yo, k2, ssk, k3, rep. from * to end rnd
Row8: *p1, k2, k2tog, k2, yo, k7, p1, k7, yo, k2, ssk, k2, rep. from * to end rnd
Row9: *p1, k1, k2tog, k2, yo, k8, p1, k8, yo, k2, ssk, k1, rep. from * to end rnd
Row10: *p1, k2tog, k2, yo, k9, p1, k9, yo, k2, ssk, rep. from * to end rnd
(Repeat these 10 rows 2 more times)

Where I’m getting hung up is when I get to the first row of the lace pattern and end with the second ssk of the repetition, instead of the last run of knit stitches. I hope that all makes sense, and thank you all for your help!!

My gut tells me that the yo’s are the problem. They don’t use a stitch.

I didn’t think of using loops of yarn for markers, someone else did and I stole it from them. lol

BINGO! Brilliant. :slight_smile: I’ve definitely been doing that wrong. I’ll give it another shot doing it (hopefully) the correct way.

This may sound dumb, but I’ve done this myself:
Are you sure you’re starting with the right number of stitches? The increase round should take you to 112, which would be four pattern repeats.
Are you doing the ssk right? I messed that up when I started and couldn’t figure out where the stitches were going until the ssk was straightened out.
Cast on 28 again and count the stitches out loud as you work. Maybe it’ll spark some idea.

It was a problem with the yo’s? “My gut” was really recalling what I’ve read from salmonmac and others here. They’re the brilliant ones to thank. This was one of the few mistakes I wasn’t prone to when starting out. Believe me, I’ve made more than my share and keep making more.

Tried it again after doing some practice yarn overs and so far, so good! I think that was the main issue, although I also did a few of the SSKs wrong, which explained some disappearing stitches as well.

I checked, rechecked, and checked again for the number of cast on stitches, and the number after the ribbing AND the number after the increase round, so the number wasn’t the problem so much as what I was doing with them. But I think I have it worked out now, thanks to all of your suggestions.

Thanks so much for all your help with this!