Knitting in the back

AngelaR you are right it isn’t “wrong” it’s just different. and of course i’ve decided that when knitting only in garter there’s no reason not do it the way i have. however i am slowly learning to do it through the front so i will be able to follow a pattern and not have to worry about any twisted stiches or problems following patterns or anything. thank you for the words of encouragement. i have to keep reminding myself “it’s not wrong” but that’s the words that come out. either way it fun.

Yes, they will. If you are knitting into the back loop.

In garter stitch, you knit all the rows. So if you twist the first row. The only way to correct it is to loop the yarn from over the needle, then under it & pull off the stitch. The opposite direction of the way a standard knit stitch is made. It is possible to knit this way. But I think in is more cumbersome & harder to get even tension.

The advantage to combined is the way purls are made. Many people find them quicker. Or prefer to hold their needles so that they knit in the back. But with combined the stitches are kept in alignment by the reverse movement of the purl row (in stockinette.)

Since you are working garter stitch pattern. You have no purl rows to “fix” the twist. And I think it is a better practice to learn to knit without twisting the stitches. So yep, knit in the front.

Originally Posted by [B]amala[/B] the front stitch is the one that leans closest to the right needle. so my stitches are twisted?

As long as you knit into that front one, then your sts will not be twisted.

When you are working on “straight” needles,in order to achieve stockinette stitch (aka V’s) you have knit a row then purl the next row. It’s neither an English or Cont style, you work the rows using any tech…just K1rw P1rw.

Don’t hate me but this is not necessarily true. From my tireless research into combined knitting and the purling problem… If you wrap the yarn on the needle, clockwise, on both techniques, you will get a better stitch pattern. It’s looser and you don’t get those weird bumps on the knit side.

This is the thing, because combined knitters are never twisting the loops via the knit stitch, the purl stitch makes the stockinette stitch look odd. This really bugged me when knitting back and forth, so, because I wanted my socks and husband’s sweater to look good and uniform, I began Eastern knitting when having to do stockinette. This gave me a uniform looking stitch, a looser weave to my fabric.

Combined knitting is incredibly efficient and fast, however, it does come with its own set of unique problems (doing decreases can be a real pain) but it is a good way to learn knitting because of the fact that you’re always approaching the loop from the same side.

And I will be perfectly honest, I just can’t master the Continental knit stitch. :wink:

Angela when you refer to Clockwise…With what tech? Throw/English or Continental…What are using? Isn’t “Eastern” considered combo? As I am curious on what technique you use…Thank You Chele

I think you’re throwing in a lot of information the OP doesn’t need at this point. If her front st is closest to the tip of the needle, she’s wrapping her sts correctly for Western knitting. And clockwise/c. clockwise confuses [I]me. [/I]It all depends on how you look at the needles, from the tip or looking down at them as they’re held in your hands.

Yes, this topic is going in a different direction than the original post…I am asking Angela a question regarding her tech…Let me re-phrase my question…

I’m sorry, cheley, I meant to direct my reply to Angela, so it could be confusing that it was directly below yours.

I understood your question. Clockwise or c clockwise doesn’t matter as to technique, it is how you wrap around the needle and can depend on how you view the needle, as I said before.

Combined is a ‘combination’ of western and eastern styles. That’s what Angela uses which is wrapping (or rather picking) the purls ‘backwards’ then knitting the sts on the next row tbl so they are not twisted. This can be done with the yarn in either the right or left hand. It’s easier to purl with the yarn in the left by this method, rather than the standard continental purl.

Eastern is not Combined (I thought it was too!) When I was researching the purl stitch, because two of the best sites for combined knitting showed two different ways the yarn was oriented around the needle to form the loop, I found that Eastern Knitting works the loop from the back and is basically just Continental Knitting in a mirror. So in Eastern you are twisting the yarn with the purl stitch and untwisting it with the knit stitch (opposite of Western Knitting).

Now, when I refer to clockwise, I mean that when your yarn wraps around your needle (whether you throw or grab) it rotates in a clockwise fashion, knitting and purling. If you will slow down your knitting enough to really observe what you are doing with your yarn, you will see exactly what you’re doing with your yarn. And then, if you’re anything like me, you begin to agonize of leading edges and which way the stitches are leaning, if at all.

It took me over 20 years to really look at what I was doing, so if ever there was a time to obsess, this is a good one. I hope it’s made me a better knitter for it.